Author Topic: Routing advice?  (Read 992 times)

Offline dg

• View Profile
Routing advice?
« on: October 08, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
Good day, folks,
Sorry about the rather generic Subject...

Currently we have an extension 885 - that when called, rings our service department's ring group 857 (ring all) and if not answered, it goes to the NuPoint box.
My understanding of how this flows is that when 885 is dialed, there's a call reroute to always alternative to ring group 857, and ring group 857 overflows to the VM pilot 800.

We want to add a second layer to this. I want it to ring rg857 for say 3 rings, then ring the manager's extension 647 for two, and if neither answer, it can either go to VM 885 or a different/new VM box separate from the manager's personal box. I can't seem to figure out how to route this. I can overflow to his personal extension, 647, but that never routes to any VM box at all. Do we do something with first and second reroute alternatives rather than always alternatives?

TIA,
-dg

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Routing advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »
Good day, folks,
Sorry about the rather generic Subject...

Currently we have an extension 885 - that when called, rings our service department's ring group 857 (ring all) and if not answered, it goes to the NuPoint box.
My understanding of how this flows is that when 885 is dialed, there's a call reroute to always alternative to ring group 857, and ring group 857 overflows to the VM pilot 800.

We want to add a second layer to this. I want it to ring rg857 for say 3 rings, then ring the manager's extension 647 for two, and if neither answer, it can either go to VM 885 or a different/new VM box separate from the manager's personal box. I can't seem to figure out how to route this. I can overflow to his personal extension, 647, but that never routes to any VM box at all. Do we do something with first and second reroute alternatives rather than always alternatives?

TIA,
-dg
"You can't reroute a reroute" - Words to live by. :)

Create a new ring group, let's call it rg858 just for simplicity sake, with x647 as it's only member, or put in all the ones in 857 plus x647.

Change rg857's Overflow point to 858, then set rg858's Overflow point to 800.

Should give you what you need.

Offline dg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
Cool, thanks Ace.
Looks simple enough. I always overanalyze things.
Is it correct that the 'call ringing timer' in the ring group settings is the one to use to choose how long 857 rings before overflowing to rg858? (then the same for how long rg858 rings before overflowing to 800?)

Thanks again,
-dg

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Cool, thanks Ace.
Looks simple enough. I always overanalyze things.
Is it correct that the 'call ringing timer' in the ring group settings is the one to use to choose how long 857 rings before overflowing to rg858? (then the same for how long rg858 rings before overflowing to 800?)

Thanks again,
-dg
Correct... If in doubt, check the embedded help, it is essentially the programming "manual"... It will answer any questions of any fields in the ring group.

Offline dg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »
Looks like it could be, or is more likely to be the 'call queued timer' in the case of a ring-all group. The call ringing timer seems to be more for use with cascading or circular groups. They're currently both set to 20 seconds, so I'll try both.
Thanks again,
-dg

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 07:20:35 PM »
I've setup something similar, like this:
incoming call to 1000: Ring Group, contains extensions 2001,2002,2003
After 3 rings, 1000 overflows to Ring Group 1001, contains extensions 2001,2002,2003,4001
(4001 is the manager phone).
After 3 rings, 1001 overflows to VM. (Or re-routes, either works).

So an incoming call rings 3 times on the minions' phones, then 3 times on everybody's phone including the boss's phone before going to voicemail.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10