Author Topic: One 250 box for two locations question (VPN)  (Read 1121 times)

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
One 250 box for two locations question (VPN)
« on: September 27, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »
Hello all,

I have a client whom we just installed a new Mitel 250 box on their main campus. The owner is requesting that their second campuses phones communicate over the VPN that he has already set up and configured the NAT (inside his Meraki). We have already configured the static public IP (phone system IP) to NAT to the static internal IP of the phone system. We’ve confirmed that the phones at the second location can and do communicate over the VPN by seeing traffic over the NAT’d internal IP (192.168.10.3 is the internal IP for the phone system) without issue. However, the second a call is made it transfers that IP to the static public IP of the phone system. He’s wanting to get this resolved so he can close some ports at their second location. Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: One 250 box for two locations question (VPN)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »
I am a little confused by this... Are the phones riding the VPN (connected to the internal IP of the MiVO) or via NAT through the cloud (connected to the public IP address of the MiVO)?

We use Meraki for the MiVO remote locations all the time, mostly small 1-4 phone locations, just put the phone in Teleworker mode and enter the internal IP of the MiVO. No NAT or public internet involved at all (the phones are in Native mode in the user IP settings in DB Programmer).

Offline jdobnerjr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 07:11:10 AM »
I have the same setup for 3 remote offices (1 w/ 4 employees & 1 w/ 1 employee & my home office).  Meraki MX 64 x 2 & Z5 for myself at home w/ a total of 35 5360's at 4 locations.

Subnets are different at all 3 remote offices & then 2 VLAN's at HQ w/ 250.  I don't do any programming at the phone level for communicating back to HQ, all handled via VPN topology.  Encrypted VPN tunnel for both data & voice topology - no ports open on any firewalls for Mitel. 

I have the DHCP string at both remote locations set to advertise option 48 on remote Meraki's:

id:ipphone.mitel.com;sw_tftp=192.168.x.x;call_srv=192.168.x.x

Main Office Meraki has both VLAN's in VPN. QoS is not an issue with remote offices, even when dialing other internal phones as the bandwidth is more than enough to support the call.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:19:19 AM by jdobnerjr »

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
I have the same setup for 3 remote offices (1 w/ 4 employees & 1 w/ 1 employee & my home office).  Meraki MX 64 x 2 & Z5 for myself at home w/ a total of 35 5360's at 4 locations.

Subnets are different at all 3 remote offices & then 2 VLAN's at HQ w/ 250.  I don't do any programming at the phone level for communicating back to HQ, all handled via VPN topology.  Encrypted VPN tunnel for both data & voice topology - no ports open on any firewalls for Mitel. 

I have the DHCP string at both remote locations set to advertise option 48 on remote Meraki's:

id:ipphone.mitel.com;sw_tftp=192.168.x.x;call_srv=192.168.x.x

Main Office Meraki has both VLAN's in VPN. QoS is not an issue with remote offices, even when dialing other internal phones as the bandwidth is more than enough to support the call.
I love Meraki... VPN's are so simple.

That said, I am pretty sure you mean DHCP Option 43... not 48. :)

Offline wtatx

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »
So essentially I would need to go to the second location, go to each phone and type in the Mivo internal IP as the server address to get this resolved? I’m a little lost as to how/where I go to get this configured for this second location. I have access to the main location and the DB programming software. I really appreciate all of replies!

Offline jdobnerjr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »
No... no need to do this on each phone.

Set the DHCP option and the phones will come up.

If they have not already been configured at office with MiVo 250 and logged into their extension- no worries.  You can add their MAC address manually on the phone system so you don’t have to be at the phone to log it in as the extension.

PM me. I’m happy to help!!!  I can send you my email address in PM

Thanks,
Jeff

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10