Author Topic: NIC bonding in MSL config  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
NIC bonding in MSL config
« on: September 10, 2018, 05:24:37 AM »
Hello,

I'm configuring two new MiVB on Dell servers (ISS). The client has asked me about securing the network, so I'm bonding two NICs. This is not well documented, in fact it's not documented at all, I found a couple of mentions in all my Mitel doc saying to "accept the default value". My network architect would like to know if there are other options than miimon=200
mode=active-backup

From my research this looks similar to RedHat parameters, and probably other Linux distros using the same network driver/software.

Anyone has any info to share about this ?

Offline bigyorkshire

• MiVoice Business, MiCollab and MSL Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: NIC bonding in MSL config
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:08:13 AM »
Hi Ronan,

Other than advising that MSL is based on CentOS - not a lot. Its not something I've come across the need to do so far.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 05:35:42 AM »
RedHat, CentOS, same difference ah ah !

When I said securing the network I meant physically, have two NICs on two switches so if a port or switch goes down, the MiVB still works.

Network security as in preventing instrusions hacking etc. is another subject (and not something I deal with).

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:27:27 PM »
If you have 2 MiVB in a cluster, then patching them both to two switches is redundancy on top of redundancy.

I have physical controllers patched to two switches, I can't remember if we got LACP working or if it's just using STP.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 07:32:14 AM »
Yes it's redundancy on top of redundancy, but well the client is king. There is a big single point of failure in the form of a single MBG but he doesn't want to pay for a second one !

I will stay with the default parameters, if something else is not documented I'd rather not do it. I tested the functionality and it works fine.

Offline eugenej

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
Yes it's redundancy on top of redundancy, but well the client is king. There is a big single point of failure in the form of a single MBG but he doesn't want to pay for a second one !

I will stay with the default parameters, if something else is not documented I'd rather not do it. I tested the functionality and it works fine.

The NIC bonding is at MSL level so it will be based on what is available on Linux. From memory I think the bonding is for throughput NOT resiliency but needs to be confirmed. I'm going back 6 plus years since I last used it.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
The default is active-backup suggesting it's not for throughput.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10