Author Topic: Can I replace a flaky Mitel 5000 with a new unit and keep my existing phones?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline marklein

• View Profile
I'm not much of a phone system guru, just a regular computer systems admin guy. I've adopted an office with a Mitel 5000 controller which is just generally flaky. System will freeze or error when accessing voicemails, won't process incoming calls, and needs to be reset weekly if not daily to stay stable. I assume that it simply needs to be replaced, so let me know if maybe there's some other maintenance that might bring it back to a stable state.

Anyway, the boss is feeling cheap and is OK with replacing the PBX but would prefer to keep the same desk phones (digital, not IP) in order to save cost. Is there a new(er) PBX that I could easily replace this one with? If I purchased another 5000 and copied the config would I likely be copying the same unstable setup the the replacement? Keep in mind that I only know enough about phone systems to Google the instructions that I need. Thanks folks!

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You need to get a qualified telephone technician to evaluate your telephone system.

Is your computer knowledge limited to what you can Google?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
marklein,

Short answer: Yes it can be replaced and upgraded and keep the same phones.

Real answer: You won't be able to do it yourself. I agree with DND ON that you should get a Mitel Technician out there to troubleshoot your problem and fix it; you may not even have to change out your equipment.

Thanks,

TE

Offline firesail_974

• View Profile
Hi There,

I am a qualified Mitel Engineer is this a HX Controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
I'm a Mitel tech and I would have trouble doing what you're talking about doing because what I know is the 3300 not the 5000 (unrelated beasts), but at least I know what I don't know. On a 3300 you could try replacing the chassis but without access to Mitel's licensing server it's very possible you could not use the new chassis.

Sometimes a 3300 that is acting up only needs backing up then restoring that backup to correct issues. Other times it's an old PATA hard drive that needs replacing. Sometimes it's the mainboard that has an issue and you need a new one (or a new everything). Issues you describe could also be caused by some network problem, I doubt the configuration is the cause.

Offline cpegeno

• View Profile
As said by TE above,
Yes. You can upgrade this system (i.e. software, etc.) or replace it with a new system/chassis/software/licensing/what have you.

I would definitely recommend that you get a certified tech out to take a peek. It sounds like some of the bells don't ring and the whistles stopped tooting.

I know that you want to be "cheap" with repair/reprogram attempts, but Google will lead you to disrepair.

Do what you must, when that all fails, come back and chat! :)

Cheers,
Geno

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm all for helping people, but not when it means money being taken out of the vendor's pocket.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10