Author Topic: Recommendations for SIP gateway to analog for Fax  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Curtis-at-Travis

• View Profile
Recommendations for SIP gateway to analog for Fax
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:35:21 PM »
Cisco and Grandstream ATA's are great...if you don't plan on doing anything more than have voice conversations.  They just don't seem to be the best at fax transmissions, especially in the medical field (hospitals, doctors offices, etc).

I need to know, from the collected experience out there, what is the recommended device that you would use for providing fax dial tone?  Adtran? 

And, in addition to the device, any place where I can get a good template for recommended settings on the device?

Thanks in advance!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Recommendations for SIP gateway to analog for Fax
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
Honestly? None... He have never had luck doing fax through an ATA on the 3300, even with traditional TDM trunks.

On our hosted platform we use a ton of AudioCodes ATA's, but they are in https fax mode.

In most cases it is an ONS port, fax server (we really like Multitech), or get local dialtone from a carrier for that one line.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:50:52 AM »
I've done about 100 Mitel ATAs, each supporting one fax.
Once we discovered the correct combination of tickboxes, etc...., on the ATA config, we got about 90% of them working. The remaining 10% are probably issues with the fax or cabling.

At one stage we had about 90% of them working and we had to change something on the MBGs SIP trunks - all the faxes stopped working and we had to experiment with tickboxes again.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 10:27:59 PM »
I've done about 100 Mitel ATAs, each supporting one fax.
Once we discovered the correct combination of tickboxes, etc...., on the ATA config, we got about 90% of them working. The remaining 10% are probably issues with the fax or cabling.

At one stage we had about 90% of them working and we had to change something on the MBGs SIP trunks - all the faxes stopped working and we had to experiment with tickboxes again.
Perhaps you could share you knowledge then?

What ATA's? What are the SIP capabilities, etc?

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 12:15:21 AM »
The Mitel ATAs. They are model numbers 710X, where the X tells you how many analog ports they have.
The doco said something about them only supporting half as many fax machines as they have analog ports, but I got 2 faxes working together on a 7102.

You configure the Controller IP address as your "SIP Server", and the fax extension number as the SIP Extension Endpoint Registration.

Changes we made to the default config:
Enable G711u, disable G729, T38.
Change "Jitter Buffer" and "Behaviour on CED Tone Detection" to "fax".

The "WAN" port patches to your network and will do a DHCP request for an IP address. If you configure the ATA with a Hostname, it will register in DNS to make it easier to find.
The "LAN" port has a DHCP server running on it, so you have to make sure you disable that.

After you configure it, it won't work until you reboot it.

Offline Ericlaracuente

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
https://www.multitech.com/brands/faxfinder-ip

This was my solution for doing fax, with SIP on a 3300 MCD.

Offline Ironduke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 10:00:24 AM »
Hi Vincewhirlwind,

I'm having trouble setting up a 7102 with MiVB. Could I ask a few questions along the way?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »
The Mitel ATAs. They are model numbers 710X, where the X tells you how many analog ports they have.
The doco said something about them only supporting half as many fax machines as they have analog ports, but I got 2 faxes working together on a 7102.

You configure the Controller IP address as your "SIP Server", and the fax extension number as the SIP Extension Endpoint Registration.

Changes we made to the default config:
Enable G711u, disable G729, T38.
Change "Jitter Buffer" and "Behaviour on CED Tone Detection" to "fax".

The "WAN" port patches to your network and will do a DHCP request for an IP address. If you configure the ATA with a Hostname, it will register in DNS to make it easier to find.
The "LAN" port has a DHCP server running on it, so you have to make sure you disable that.

After you configure it, it won't work until you reboot it.
Aren't these just rebranded Mediatrix 4102 units?

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 06:18:52 PM »
Hi Vincewhirlwind,

I'm having trouble setting up a 7102 with MiVB. Could I ask a few questions along the way?
The first test is whether the ATA successfully registers the configured extension - when you ring the number and get "out of service" it means the ATA isn't configured right yet. If it rings it means you are up to the stage of getting the fax correctly configured.
It might be easier to stick an analog phone on the ATA for the first step because it's much easier to get an analog phone working than it is getting the fax working.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10