Author Topic: Rebooting phone system weekly?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline jcatucci812

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Rebooting phone system weekly?
« on: August 03, 2018, 01:13:59 PM »
Hello All,

Our phone system is scheduled to restart once a week. I believe our contractor who originally set the system up was the one who scheduled it. I was just curious as to why they may have done this? It's a bit annoying as the reboot wipes away the call history on all of our phones. If it's a necessary evil then it's not a big deal, but I was hoping maybe someone could possibly share the logic behind restarting it once a week. Maybe it's good practice to clear the cache out or something?

Thanks

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rebooting phone system weekly?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
I have never known it to be necessary weekly. We could probably all speculate the reasons one may have set it up but I don't see any reason not to turn the reboot turned off for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Offline Ericlaracuente

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »
I usually wait for patches/upgrades to reboot any MCDs, I've never seen a reason to reboot them on a schedule unless there's a backstory.

Like the user before me said, turn the schedule off and see how it goes for a couple of weeks. If this was done due to an issue, my recommendation is to resolve the issue and not band-aid it like this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:59:20 PM »
There was an issue with older DEMs that required frequent reboots to prevent error messages. It was easiest to just schedule a reboot.

Some old-timers still schedule weekly reboots, including this writer.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »
Unless there is a specific reason... like RAM usage creeps up consistently or DEM's go out of service on occasion for "no reason", we never setup scheduled reboots. At least not since version 4.0 or so...

There is no real danger to your equipment or hardware, reboot weekly won't really hurt anything, but in most systems it's not necessary at all. We have systems with over a year of uptime with no problems.

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 03:47:24 AM »
Some of our sites have problems with ISDN2 circuits going out of service and a reboot fixes this, so those sites have a weekly reboot set.

Offline jcatucci812

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
Thank you for the posts. Seems like there's no necessary reason for a weekly reboot, at least from the surface level.

I'm going to remove it and I guess we'll see what happens.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10