Author Topic: MXe packet capture for all traffic (not specifically voice)  (Read 1061 times)

Offline JasonTaylor

• View Profile
Does anyone know if a command exists to packet capture all traffic from MXe so I don't have to go site and set up a mirrored switch port (similar to SIP TCPDUMP ON/OFF but for all traffic?

I'm having issues with wireless SIP phones and the wireless vendor think that the MCD is not responding to ARP packets.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
Re: MXe packet capture for all traffic (not specifically voice)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 07:30:07 PM »
On any network I design, I wouldn't expect the MCD to see ARP packets from any handset, especially not from wireless ones.
The wireless handsets should be using their default GW to reach the MCD, not sending an ARP query.
Maybe have a quick look at your network topology (a layer2/3 network diagram) and then have a look at IP addressing details for all voice devices.

Offline JasonTaylor

• View Profile
Re: MXe packet capture for all traffic (not specifically voice)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:08:13 PM »
On any network I design, I wouldn't expect the MCD to see ARP packets from any handset, especially not from wireless ones.
The wireless handsets should be using their default GW to reach the MCD, not sending an ARP query.
Maybe have a quick look at your network topology (a layer2/3 network diagram) and then have a look at IP addressing details for all voice devices.

Hey Vince thanks but I got to the bottom of this before all my hair fell out.  All wireless phones (2 x different vendors) were sending ARP requests which were reaching the MCD but it was not responding to all of them, and at some point the MCD would become unreachable from that phone.  Phones were associated to SSID tagged to the same VLAN as MCD, issue was that all VLAN's were tagged on the MCD port and I'm guessing there was just too much broadcast traffic from the other VLAN's for the MCD to handle (still waiting for Mitel to confirm).  As soon as I took the tagging off for all the other VLAN's on this particular switchport the MCD was plugged into the wireless phones just worked.  All the VLAN's are tagged on every other port which does not cause an issue with anything else as far as I know (reason for this is AP's sit on management VLAN however different SSID's are tagged with different VLAN ID's, and AP's or phones could be plugged into any random switchport so everything is now just plug and play). As far as I was made aware, if a device was tagged on a specific VLAN, it would just drop the packets tagged with a different VLAN ID so I'm not sure why the MCD port struggled.  One of my colleagues mentioned this could be because the MCD port is only 10/100, however so are the 53xx phones which never had a single problem.  I'm still surprised as to how often the phones were sending ARP requests to the MCD!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10