Author Topic: How to Route "1" to our Long Distance Provider  (Read 1472 times)

Offline rdo911

• View Profile
How to Route "1" to our Long Distance Provider
« on: July 13, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
We have a Mitel 3300 with an ISDN/PRI circuit.

We have a long distance provider that requires us to dial a local access number 950-555-1212.

To access an outside line, you dial 9.
To make a long distance call you then dial 1.

When you dial that 1, I want that to trigger a phone call to 950-555-1212 and then our long distance provider gives you their dial tone and you make your phone call.

What's the best way to go about doing this?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: How to Route "1" to our Long Distance Provider
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »
We have a Mitel 3300 with an ISDN/PRI circuit.

We have a long distance provider that requires us to dial a local access number 950-555-1212.

To access an outside line, you dial 9.
To make a long distance call you then dial 1.

When you dial that 1, I want that to trigger a phone call to 950-555-1212 and then our long distance provider gives you their dial tone and you make your phone call.

What's the best way to go about doing this?
Wow... these types of LD services still exist? I thought they died in the mid-1990's but I guess not. Boy does this bring back memories of the Mitel Smart-1 Dialer, but that's a very different story better suited for a 5:30 beer discussion.

This would be done using digit modification on your route for LD calls, you would have the user dial 91NPANXXXXXX, then you would use ARS to remove the 91 and insert 9505551212W and outpulse the remaining digits buffered. This would take a little playing around to get the timing correct though.

An alternative would be make an alternate code, like 81, that is just absorbed and then substituted for your 950 number.

Be aware if you are doing any kind of SMDR service, like call reporting, this will likely need to be addressed there as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:15:44 PM by acejavelin »

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:09:45 PM »
Be aware if you are doing any kind of SMDR service, like call reporting, this will likely need to be addressed there as well.

If you don't want it to show in SMDR you can enclose the digits you don't want shown on in curly braces. {}

Offline rdo911

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
Thanks guys for the suggestions.  Much appreciated!

I got it working for North American long distance, but not international.

Both local & long distance calls used the same Digit Modification Plan.  So I had to create a new one.

Here's how long distance calls worked today.  They have a bunch of other rules that started with a 9 so I think that's why they broke it up into 8 separate rules like this:

ARS Digit Modification
Digits Dialed | # of Digits to Follow | Term Type | Term Num
912             9                       Route       6
913             9                       Route       6
914             9                       Route       6
915             9                       Route       6
916             9                       Route       6
917             9                       Route       6
918             9                       Route       6
919             9                       Route       6

ARS Routes
Route Num | Routing Medium | Trk Group Num | COR Grp Num | Digit Mod Num | Digit Before Outpulsing
6           TDM Group        1               6             2               ** empty **

ARS Digit Modification Plans
Digit Mod Num | Num Digits to Absorb | Digits to be Inserted | Final Tone
2               1                      {000}1026775            <T02>

Nobody on site was able to explain to me why all those digits were being inserted on every external call -- both local & long distance.  After some trial & error testing, I discovered that the {000} was absolutely required --- without that, any external call failed instantly.  The 7 digit code after that didn't seem to be needed.

Currently this site is using a PRI from the local ILEC.  But their LD is with a third party.  No one remembers how this was setup.  But perhaps the 1026775 is a code going to their LD provider to authorize things?  That sort of makes sense.  But the {000} is still confusing because that should definitely fail if sent to the ILEC's PRI, right?

Anyway, these are the rules I changed/added that got it to work:

ARS Digit Modification
Digits Dialed | # of Digits to Follow | Term Type | Term Num
912XXXXXXXXX    0                       Route       16
913XXXXXXXXX    0                       Route       16
914XXXXXXXXX    0                       Route       16
915XXXXXXXXX    0                       Route       16
916XXXXXXXXX    0                       Route       16
917XXXXXXXXX    0                       Route       16
918XXXXXXXXX    0                       Route       16
919XXXXXXXXX    0                       Route       16

ARS Routes
Route Num | Routing Medium | Trk Group Num | COR Grp Num | Digit Mod Num | Digit Before Outpulsing
16          TDM Group        1               6             4               1

ARS Digit Modification Plans
Digit Mod Num | Num Digits to Absorb | Digits to be Inserted | Final Tone
2               1                      {000}9505551212<T02>

When I had the <T02> in the Final Tone column, it didn't work.  Once I moved it to the "to be inserted" column, then I had success!  I tried using a "W" for the wait as suggested, but a "W" is not allowed in that field.

That gave me the correct sequence of events:
9 <Mitel gives you dial tone>
1 999 555 1212 <local LD access number is dialed> <2nd dial tone> <Mitel outpulses your number>

International calls uses the digit mod rule of 9011 and the Unknown for the # of digits to follow.  Any time I tried using a rule like that, it passed control of the call to the 3rd party LD carrier BEFORE you dialed your LD call.  It looked like this:
9011 <3rd party LD carrier gave you dial tone>
442012345678 <these digits did NOT appear on the Mitel phone, but you heard the DTMF digits>

This is different than their current setup as the LD digits appear on the phone just like in the North American LD dialing.  What am I doing wrong here?

Also, any thoughts on this mysterious 000 that is being inserted on all external calls?  I can't even dial a local number without inserting 000 before the number.  Very weird.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10