Author Topic: MBG configuration for SIP trunking  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
MBG configuration for SIP trunking
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:42:51 AM »
Hello, this is my first time configuring an MBG, and SIP trunk to a SIP provider. I've already configured a SIP trunk from a 3300 to a Cisco CUCM without much trouble.

My colleagues dealing with the network expect a configuration like this : 3300 ICP on internal network ------ MBG ------- routers from the SIP provider. These routers are dedicated to the SIP trunk, there is no other data, no teleworker, etc.

From what I gather in Mitel's doc, I must configure the MBG with a LAN and a WAN interface. When I have just one LAN interface configured and go into the SIP trunk menu, it clearly states I need a WAN interface.

Problem is, when I configure the WAN interface, then I can only assign a Gateway to it, that replaces the Gateway configured on the LAN interface. Consequently, I can't connect to the MBG anymore, as that WAN interface is only routed to the SIP routers (that aren't even online yet).

In the doc I find that in server-Gateway configuration the WAN IP address must be reachable from the Internet and the internal network. It kinda makes sense for a teleworker application, but for what I'm doing, not really. I expect the MBG to be the Gateway between these two. SIP provider doesn't see or care about my internal network, and internal network doesn't see or care about the SIP provider. I even envisioned to connect the WAN interface with a cable directly to the SIP router.

Can you confirm that I'm understanding things right and should get the network guys to route the two networks towards each other ?

Regards

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: MBG configuration for SIP trunking
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »
Yeah, we do this quite a bit due to a local cable providers SIP trunking... Unfortunately the only way to access the MBG after this is to go onsite (or remote desktop to a local PC) and access the MBG from there. To make the sync work, find the IP address of "sync.mitel-amc.com" and add it to Configuration - Networks as a new network route, add the IP address, a subnet of 255.255.255.255, and the router is the IP address of the gateway on the LAN network.

There is a way to allow this to work as a Teleworker as well, but adding a 3rd interface that really is a public IP address... but that gets a bit complicated, although does allow for remote access fairly easily.

1st (LAN) Ethernet: LAN
2nd (WAN) Ethernet: SIP trunking provider
3rd (Other/Optional) Ethernet: Public Internet (in this case, set the gateway in the Network Route for sync.mitel-amc.com to this network's gateway address)

Using this takes some playing around with the System Configuration - Network Profiles - Custom configuration and sometimes the use of the RTP Override address in the SIP trunk setup... If your network is more complex you need to use SIP Adaptation rules, and for that you should contact support and not attempt it yourself.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:46:35 PM by acejavelin »

Offline lowradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
If no teleworkers required:
Put it in LAN mode
Program the 2nd NIC as the third IP
In SIP trunking on the MBG set RTP address override to "Third Interface" (even though there are only two NICs)

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 05:21:05 AM »
Thanks for your answers. The system is not even in the same country I'm in so physical access is kind of problematic, however I got the client to configure an IDRAC access (Dell server) so I can tinker with things without losing access.

There is a lot of configuration to make to get the SIP trunk going, for that I need access to the web interface of MBG, which is what I'm lacking at the moment, once I've set up the WAN interface.

I just asked the network guys to route the LAN interface through the WAN Gateway even though I find this illogical.

Internet access should work then, although that's not even what I'm concerned about right now, I just want access to the interface so I can actually configure Something.

lowradiation what do you mean by "third IP" ?

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
You can access the web interface through the console using text-mode browser. If you're on with iDrac you should be fine [although it's not going to be much fun].

Offline lowradiation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
When you use the console and select configure this server
Assign an IP address to the first NIC
When you get to "Select WAN network adapters" - uncheck it - do not assign a WAN IP address - you are not using teleworker and the SIP provider is SIP only traffic
You will then get "Select additional LAN network adaptors" - check this one and assign your SIP providers IP address and subnet mask (In SIP trunking programming this will be the "Third Interface" that you select)
When you get to "Enter gateway IP address" - enter the gateway for the first NIC's IP address.
After this is done, your MBG will reboot

Put the MBG in "LAN mode"
In SIP trunking on the MBG set RTP address override to "Third Interface" (even though there are only two NICs)
This forces the MBG to use the 2nd NIC for SIP trunk traffic only.  All other traffic will use the first NIC's gateway
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:46:27 PM by lowradiation »

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 09:54:53 AM »
Thanks for the more detailed explanation, I'll try this.

In the meantime a colleague showed me how he dealt with the same problem : by directly changing routes, the /etc/sysconfig/network file etc., in Linux.

Regards

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 10:15:41 AM »
Not sure about MBG standalone but I know on MiCollab you can go to 'Configuration/Networks' to add static routes.
Depending on the version you can add a trusted network or in newer versions you can add it in additional network routes.

modifying the file manually will not survive an upgrade.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 07:10:37 AM »
Yes sarond that was it, once I had gotten access to the web interface I found I could add routes on top of trusted network.

Thanks all.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10