Author Topic: new here, former shoretel partner  (Read 2100 times)

Offline gabe-kts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
new here, former shoretel partner
« on: April 10, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
recently got certified on the basic install/maintenance of the 3300 system and we picked up an old (2003 era) 3300 controller off ebay to play around with and break/fix/etc.

tried to open a ticket to get access to this thing to upgrade it/default/get access to it, what a nightmare it has been. there is no options in their phone tree to open a ticket on the 3300, is there a different support number i need to call other than the number listed on their website?

Offline JasonTaylor

• View Profile
Re: new here, former shoretel partner
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
If you can connect to it via the serial cable you can run some commands documented in the technicians handbook, which allows you to see and change the local IP address, and possibly reset passwords (depending on the software version).  From here you could get the controller to boot and load the latest software from a specified FTP server (search QEFCC), then all the setting will be in default including the username and password however it will need to be synced back to a valid ARID with appropriate licensing if you plan to connect any phones or trunks.

To get support that ARID would need to have valid SWA.  The ARID assigned to the controller you got of eBay is still sitting in someone's Mitel account that you can't access, and you will need written permission from the account holder to have this ARID and all associated licensing moved over into your AMC domain which is a lengthy process, and it may be quicker for you to create a new ARID and assign new licences if necessary.

To raise a new ticket with Mitel I would normally log into Mitel connect, then tech central tracker link then create new ticket against the ARID of the Mitel equipment in question.  Much easier the phoning up as you can easily add in and attach all the details which is difficult to relay over the phone.

Instead of buying an old 3300 shell I found it easier to load a virtual 3300 vMCD in a VMware environment on my laptop, it's virtually the same thing [emoji23]

Offline gabe-kts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »
thanks for the info. i was able to download the tech handbook and was able to get console access to the unit but i am unable to ping it through the lan interface, not entirely sure what is going on there.

i did download the latest software off the website but unsure if i should try loading it to my controller as it is so old... any thoughts?

Offline gabe-kts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:33:35 PM »
cool well i was able to get my ftp server setup and i am able to ping the unit after setting the ftp host

however when i hit @ to reload the system i get this error

boot device          : motfcc
unit number          : 0
processor number     : 0
host name            : bootHost
file name            : Boot_Install
inet on ethernet (e) : 192.168.1.2:ffffff00
host inet (h)        : 192.168.1.100
gateway inet (g)     : 192.168.1.1
user (u)             : ftp
ftp password (pw)    : ftp
flags (f)            : 0x0
other (o)            : FixPartition

Attached TCP/IP interface to motfcc0.
Attaching network interface lo0... done.
Error loading file: errno = 0x3c.
Can't load boot file!!

i did verify i am able to ftp to myself on the specified host IP and i can authenticate with ftp/ftp and see the mitel upgrade files. not sure what else to do here.

Offline gabe-kts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:41:02 PM »
found another article that said to remove the boothost name and put @ for the ftp user password

i then tried setting motfcc as the 'other' options as a test

no luck.

here are the current settings

boot device          : motfcc
unit number          : 0
processor number     : 0
file name            : Boot_Install
inet on ethernet (e) : 192.168.1.2:ffffff00
host inet (h)        : 192.168.1.100
gateway inet (g)     : 192.168.1.1
user (u)             : ftp
ftp password (pw)    : @
flags (f)            : 0x0
other (o)            : motfcc

Attached TCP/IP interface to motfcc0.
Attaching network interface lo0... done.
Error loading file: errno = 0x3c.
Can't load boot file!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:43:25 PM by gabe-kts »

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 03:12:56 AM »
why type of 3300 do you have?
If you have a CXi, I tend to find I have to run "vlan_off" from the console before doing the software load

you will need to let the system boot first, which means you will need to restore the original boot settings (see table 51 in the thb)

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 04:45:56 AM »
I would check to see if it has a hard installed, often they are removed when sold. It may well be if it is installed it has been wiped and to all intents and purposes you have to proceed as with installing a new disk.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
Yeah, sure sounds like no hard drive, or no software installed... The "Can't load boot file!!" error is indicative of a hard drive or software problem.

EDIT: Hang on... I just noticed this is in "upgrade mode" since filename is set to "Boot_Install" try changing it to "/sysro/E2T8260" and remove the other tag

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:25:21 AM by acejavelin »

Offline gabe-kts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »
there is a hard drive installed, that is how i found approx how old the unit is lol. its stamped with a 2003 year on it.

I am not in the office today so i will have to take another whack at it when im there tomorrow.

if the hard drive is bad can i just throw another off the shelf IDE drive in?

Offline gabe-kts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
why type of 3300 do you have?
If you have a CXi, I tend to find I have to run "vlan_off" from the console before doing the software load

you will need to let the system boot first, which means you will need to restore the original boot settings (see table 51 in the thb)

not sure on the type i just know its a 3300, its pretty old and the whole chassis is like a charcoal grey.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
there is a hard drive installed, that is how i found approx how old the unit is lol. its stamped with a 2003 year on it.

I am not in the office today so i will have to take another whack at it when im there tomorrow.

if the hard drive is bad can i just throw another off the shelf IDE drive in?
Yes... But you will have to manually install the correct software version.

Offline gabe-kts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 02:15:01 PM »
alright, well just a bit more info from yesterday - when i would attempt the upgrade i would never see a connect attempt from the unit in my filezilla monitor/logs. i had a coworker ftp to my server ip from his laptop and it connected just fine using ftp/ftp so not sure where the hiccup is happening.

Offline JasonTaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 03:02:03 PM »
alright, well just a bit more info from yesterday - when i would attempt the upgrade i would never see a connect attempt from the unit in my filezilla monitor/logs. i had a coworker ftp to my server ip from his laptop and it connected just fine using ftp/ftp so not sure where the hiccup is happening.

Can't load boot file would indicate that it can't reach boot_install on the FTP server.

You are connected via serial cable, and also connected to the NIC on the controller via LAN or crossover cable?

You have set 192.168.1.2 as controller address, and 192.168.1.100 (I assume this is your laptop acting as FTP server)?

Try setting
inet on ethernet (e): 192.168.001.002:ffffff00
user: ftp
password: ftp

Offline JasonTaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »
other (o) : FixPartition

Offline gabe-kts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
thanks guys i will give it a shot tomorrow at the office.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10