Author Topic: Ringing extension can be picked up from any phone  (Read 2005 times)

Offline ivsgrp

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Ringing extension can be picked up from any phone
« on: March 06, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
I'm having an issue where all my extensions can be picked up from any other extension when ringing.   For instance when I see another extension ringing their DSS lamp flashes, if I press the DSS button I'm connected to the person attempting to call that extension. This is creating multiple issues, mainly I have phones in 2 different geographic locations and users are reporting that they are being connected to external incoming calls at location A from calls coming in to location B. This happens because a user might try to call an extension that is in a ring group for our main line when they are receiving a call.

I have a mix of 6920's and 6940's. Our system is new and I'm trying to learn as much as I can but coming up short in fixing this problem. Any guidance on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Magpye

• View Profile
Re: Ringing extension can be picked up from any phone
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:29:35 AM »
I'm just trying to understand the situation a bit better.
Why are the users pressing the DSS keys when they are flashing?
Is there phone ringing when the DSS key flashes?
The answering of a call when you press a flashing DSS key is by design I believe

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:35:52 AM »
That's how a DSS key works.
If it's ringing and you press it, it will answer.
Also, the COS can be set so that if it's audibly ringing, if you pick up the handset it will answer.

Ralph

Offline ivsgrp

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »
I'm just trying to understand the situation a bit better.
Why are the users pressing the DSS keys when they are flashing?
Up to this point the pressing of the DSS key appears to have been accidental on a 6940 touch screen.
Is there phone ringing when the DSS key flashes?
No, the phone does not have to be ringing to "intercept" the call by pressing the flashing DSS button
The answering of a call when you press a flashing DSS key is by design I believe

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my description of our issue. I will try to explain it better.

1. We have a "1st Ring" group that rings 5 phones in our main office (we don't have single designated operator - whoever is available answers the phone) When these 5 phones ring I can see all their DSS buttons flashing, if I were to press one of the DSS buttons while their extensions are ringing I'm connected to the caller.

2. If one internal extension is calling the other I see the DSS button flash of the extension being called, if I press the button I'm connected to the person trying to call that extension. Basically I could intercept an extensions call if a see the button flashing.

While our system is new and this might turn out to be not such a big deal, it's just a little odd that this is the way it works. The problem was discovered when a couple of users (not part of the "1st Ring" group  inadvertently touched their 6940 screen while the "1st ring" group was ringing and were connected to an incoming call for the other office.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:37:35 PM by ivsgrp »

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »
If you want a user to not have access to calls coming in to another Directory Number, don't give them a DSS key with that Directory Number on it.

What do you think is the purpose of those DSS keys?

Offline ivsgrp

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 12:38:05 AM »
If you want a user to not have access to calls coming in to another Directory Number, don't give them a DSS key with that Directory Number on it.

What do you think is the purpose of those DSS keys?

I view the purpose of the DSS key to provide our operators with easy, visible line status; just as it was on our old system - except you couldn’t inadvertently intercept a call to another ringing extension on those.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 01:41:11 AM »
If it's only for visibility, why are they pressing the DSS keys?
I have plenty of users who have a DSS key so they can see whether their boss is on the phone - those users don't press the DSS key if it's flashing.
If they do press the DSS key when it's flashing, none of them would be surprised that it answers the call, because it seems fairly obvious that that is how it works - on an old-school phone system a flashing line key indicator always(?) meant you could answer the call by pressing the flashing line key.

If I had a requirement for DSS keys to provide just visibility (as opposed to the way they do work, which is pressing one works like a speed dial when unlit, and to answer if it's flashing) then I would have a look through CoS options to see if you can restrict DSS key functionality.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10