Author Topic: Restrict or turn off phone service for non payment  (Read 2633 times)

Offline tlmagnus

• View Profile
Restrict or turn off phone service for non payment
« on: March 01, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »
Does anyone know what the laws are regarding reducing the functionality/turning off phone systems if your client does not pay their bill?
I can't seem to find any laws against it here in Minnesota.  Anybody doing this for customers who do not pay?

Thanks!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Restrict or turn off phone service for non payment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 04:30:09 PM »
Is the system leased or owned by the customer? If leased, you should have some kind of verbiage or clause in your lease agreement. If they own the equipment, and haven't paid you for the equipment or labor you probably are stuck with normal legal means (meaning small claims court or contact an attorney) since it is not technically your equipment any longer and restricting services or making unauthorized changes could have legal implications of tampering for your business.

Offline pmhaynes

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
our contracts state they the ownership of the phone system does not pass until the bill is paid in full or an agreement made.
maybe check with your contacts team

Offline BenRar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »
I couldn't figure this out for my state. I'm actually considering hiring legal help to do the research for me. Do you guys think that's worth it?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
BenRar,

If you are the owner/operator of your company then yes this is something you would need to know for the area(s) you are operating in if your don't have specific verbiage in the contract for how these types of situations are handled.

Typically, if I engage a lawyer I would make sure that I have all the scenarios that may arise or at least as many as I can think of so that you know how each one is handled. Also, ask the lawyer what you would need to provide to them should you need to enact upon any of their legal counsel for any of those situations.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10