Author Topic: Whats Mitel 3300, SX2000, ICP/PBX?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline mcastle

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Whats Mitel 3300, SX2000, ICP/PBX?
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »
I've been supporting our phone system for a couple years now, but I am not formally trained or certified to do so. Alot of the support is based of my Google-Fu, handbooks and manuals, but one thing I don't understand is what is the difference between the Mitel 3300, MCD, SX2000, MiVoice? I only have my guesses.

We have a Mitel 3300 Mxe, which I assume is the controller/pbx. On this controller, if I telnet to it, it shows the sx-2000 terminal, I assume it acts as the operating system? If I google search mitel s-2000, it shows the bulky box or box with a bunch of cards, which we do not have, unless there is a hidden MPOE room that I do not know about. Then browsing to the same IP as the telnet IP, it shows the MiVoice Business webpage. I feel like that might have said MCD at one point but Im not sure.

Then MiVoice or MCD? would be the application that runs on the 3300?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Whats Mitel 3300, SX2000, ICP/PBX?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
I've been supporting our phone system for a couple years now, but I am not formally trained or certified to do so. Alot of the support is based of my Google-Fu, handbooks and manuals, but one thing I don't understand is what is the difference between the Mitel 3300, MCD, SX2000, MiVoice? I only have my guesses.

We have a Mitel 3300 Mxe, which I assume is the controller/pbx. On this controller, if I telnet to it, it shows the sx-2000 terminal, I assume it acts as the operating system? If I google search mitel s-2000, it shows the bulky box or box with a bunch of cards, which we do not have, unless there is a hidden MPOE room that I do not know about. Then browsing to the same IP as the telnet IP, it shows the MiVoice Business webpage. I feel like that might have said MCD at one point but Im not sure.

Then MiVoice or MCD? would be the application that runs on the 3300?
You are over simplifying it a little... The Mitel 3300 is the evolved form (or older brother if you will) of the SX-2000, it is at it's core using a upgraded version of the base SX-2000 operating system as you can see when you Telnet to it, but NEVER EVER do anything in that telnet terminal unless you know exactly what you are doing and are directed by technical support.

The SX-2000 is an older system, manufactured in the 1980's and 1990's with some still in service today, but it has largely been retired. This was replaced by the 3300, which has gone though multiple name changes and hardware variants over the years... 3300, MCD, MiVoice Business, and a few others for a short time, they all refer to the same system. It has also been deployed as a VMware Virtual Machine and on ISS (Industry Standard Services) as a Linux software blade.

The 3300 ICP is a the core hardware chassis, with variants like MXe, CXi, LX, MXeIII, etc., which runs MCD software that is now called MiVoice Business (which is at it's core, very much related to the SX-2000's operating system).

MCD or MiVoice Business generally refers to the operating system or software, and 3300 generally refers to the hardware platform, but to be honest many people use them interchangeably.

Clear as mud now?

Offline mcastle

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Mitel 3300, SX2000, ICP/PBX?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
You are over simplifying it a little... The Mitel 3300 is the evolved form (or older brother if you will) of the SX-2000, it is at it's core using a upgraded version of the base SX-2000 operating system as you can see when you Telnet to it, but NEVER EVER do anything in that telnet terminal unless you know exactly what you are doing and are directed by technical support.

The SX-2000 is an older system, manufactured in the 1980's and 1990's with some still in service today, but it has largely been retired. This was replaced by the 3300, which has gone though multiple name changes and hardware variants over the years... 3300, MCD, MiVoice Business, and a few others for a short time, they all refer to the same system. It has also been deployed as a VMware Virtual Machine and on ISS (Industry Standard Services) as a Linux software blade.

The 3300 ICP is a the core hardware chassis, with variants like MXe, CXi, LX, MXeIII, etc., which runs MCD software that is now called MiVoice Business (which is at it's core, very much related to the SX-2000's operating system).

MCD or MiVoice Business generally refers to the operating system or software, and 3300 generally refers to the hardware platform, but to be honest many people use them interchangeably.

Clear as mud now?

You are a godsend, definetly clear as mud now.  :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10