Author Topic: SIP Trunk - G711(u and a) not being offered in INVITE  (Read 2421 times)

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
SIP Trunk - G711(u and a) not being offered in INVITE
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:17:29 PM »
Thanks to sarond and acejavelin, I recently got my SIP trunks connecting to my provider. We're in the final stages of commissioning this service, and we have an issue when a call is made from the site, or into the site, only the incoming voice from external is being heard; we can't hear outside at all.

I've confirmed the gateway on the phone is correct, and the provider is blaming the SIP configuration as he says there is only one codec being offered, G.729, and none of the G711 codecs are being offered.

Attached are two images he shows from his traces, one has just the G.729 and the other shows nothing - this was when I filtered out the G.729 so it just has G.711u and G.711a.

I've tried this with 'Renegotiate SDP To Enforce Symmetric Codec' turned both on and off and it doesn't show anything different.
The strange thing here is that when I put the system into night mode and call the voicemail system, I can hear it without a problem.

I have gone through the configuration guide that the provider gave me (as well as the copy sarond sent through, thanks!) and the settings all match. I am out of ideas.

Currently, I have:
Renegotiate SDP To Enforce Symmetric Codec turned off
Restrict Audio Codec - No Restriction
Codecs filtered are all except G.729

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: SIP Trunk - G711(u and a) not being offered in INVITE
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:45:04 PM »
Sorry, I've just found where I can do a packet trace from the Mitel Host in the MBG section and I can see that when I call the extension, or it calls me, I'm not seeing and traffic from that device, but when I put the system into Night mode and call the NuPoint system, I'm seeing traffic from it. I think the gateway must still be incorrect.

I checked in the IP Phone Inventory section in the MCD and it's showing the incorrect gateway on that device, but how often does this information get updated - whenever the phone reconnects or only once at registration?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 01:32:10 AM »
Nupoint is part of the MiCollab server, that is why you can hear the voicemail system.
Sounds like the gateway and routing is ok there.

You will need to check your DHCP server as it sounds like the phones are getting an incorrect gateway IP address.
Fix that and then reboot the phone to get a new lease.

Failing that, let us know more info on the IP scheme etc.. of the MBG, MCD and SIP Trunk.

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:19:21 PM »
Unfortunately at this site, with the low number of handsets, they are using static IP assignment. It turns out the user there who had been given instructions on the correct IP address to program had fat-fingered the gateway IP (set it as 10.8.253.0 rather than 10.8.0.253).

Once this was rectified it is working now correctly. The blame on the codec by the ISP appears to have been a red herring.

I really hate these remote deployments for just these things that crop up, since there's no way to configure the Mitel phones via HTTP or Telnet unless they are in SIP mode. Hopefully there won't be too many more of these.

Thanks, everyone, for your assistance :)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:33:20 PM »
Unfortunately at this site, with the low number of handsets, they are using static IP assignment. It turns out the user there who had been given instructions on the correct IP address to program had fat-fingered the gateway IP (set it as 10.8.253.0 rather than 10.8.0.253).

Once this was rectified it is working now correctly. The blame on the codec by the ISP appears to have been a red herring.

I really hate these remote deployments for just these things that crop up, since there's no way to configure the Mitel phones via HTTP or Telnet unless they are in SIP mode. Hopefully there won't be too many more of these.

Uhhgg... Statically assigned... I once had a 3300 certification instructor THROW A 5340 ACROSS THE ROOM when someone suggested doing this in class... One of the biggest, and most sensible, rants I have heard seen.

Props to the person who can guess this instructor... :)

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

Offline 127.0.0.1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 11:52:22 AM »

Uhhgg... Statically assigned... I once had a 3300 certification instructor THROW A 5340 ACROSS THE ROOM when someone suggested doing this in class... One of the biggest, and most sensible, rants I have heard seen.

Props to the person who can guess this instructor... :)

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

A few years late but... I'm going with (the legend) Mike Smolka

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
A few years late but... I'm going with (the legend) Mike Smolka
lol... DING DING DING!!! You got it.

Offline NEPhoneGuy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 07:04:51 PM »
Old thread but where they note they are filtering all but g729 - that's the issue right? filtered = blocked or not offered?
Thanks to sarond and acejavelin, I recently got my SIP trunks connecting to my provider. We're in the final stages of commissioning this service, and we have an issue when a call is made from the site, or into the site, only the incoming voice from external is being heard; we can't hear outside at all.

I've confirmed the gateway on the phone is correct, and the provider is blaming the SIP configuration as he says there is only one codec being offered, G.729, and none of the G711 codecs are being offered.

Attached are two images he shows from his traces, one has just the G.729 and the other shows nothing - this was when I filtered out the G.729 so it just has G.711u and G.711a.

I've tried this with 'Renegotiate SDP To Enforce Symmetric Codec' turned both on and off and it doesn't show anything different.
The strange thing here is that when I put the system into night mode and call the voicemail system, I can hear it without a problem.

I have gone through the configuration guide that the provider gave me (as well as the copy sarond sent through, thanks!) and the settings all match. I am out of ideas.

Currently, I have:
Renegotiate SDP To Enforce Symmetric Codec turned off
Restrict Audio Codec - No Restriction
Codecs filtered are all except G.729

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10