Author Topic: SIP Trunk issues - incorrect FROM address  (Read 2831 times)

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
SIP Trunk issues - incorrect FROM address
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:47:11 PM »
We have a MiVoice Business system being set up with SIP trunks. When doing the trunk commissioning with the provider (Telstra), I'm getting SIP TRUNK errors in the logs that complain of invalid username or password.

The provider has sent me a packet from their end showing the From field as not being from my system, but rather, as if it's from their system, with the SIP registrar domain (image attached).
In case the image is not working for you, here are the relevant fields:

REGISTER sip:sbc-nsw.nipt.telstra.com:5060 SIP/2.0
via: SIP/2.0/UDP 10.8.0.212:5060;branch=z9hG4bK1052344336-335461536
Route: <sip:sbc-nsw.nipt.telstra.com:5060;transport=udp;lr>
To: <sip:PILOTNUMBER@sbc-nsw.nipt.telstra.com>

I've gone through the settings in the Network Element, and the Sip Peer Profile, and I can't see an option that might be causing the From field to input the Registrar address instead of the system address. Has anyone else seen this and knows how to resolve?

I do have the MBG (as part of the MiVoiceBusiness product) set as an Outbound proxy, but the IP address in the SIP packet they sent me is for the MCD itself.

Thanks

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: SIP Trunk issues - incorrect FROM address
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
In the SIP Peer, change from Local Basic Account information Address Type from FQDN to IP address, or else you need to have a FQDN of the 3300 (not the SIP providers FQDN like mitel3300.customer.com).

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »
That's how I currently have it set. The FQDN field has a value, but the IP Address option is selected and has the correct IP address of 10.8.0.212.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:45:34 PM »
Can you snapshot your SIP Trunk config in the MBG? And is it in Server-Gateway or DMZ mode?

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:03:25 PM »
Sure, here it is attached.

The MBG is in Server-only LAN Mode, as it has only one NIC. Its gateway is the SIP Providers gateway for their SIP-specific service.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
Guess I am a little confused here... So does your SIP provider has a device (SIP Aware router/firewall or SBC) inside your network acting as a gateway? What is the purpose of your MBG then if something else is already handling the NAT translations?

The MBG does the NAT translations because the 3300 cannot, for SIP trunking it needs to be in the DMZ or the network edge to talk to a server in the cloud, and then it would replace the RTP address with the public IP address. I don't know of anyway else to do it.

If the provider has a device within the LAN, you can use LAN mode... but if you are going out to the public network and the providers equipment is outside of your network (as it appears since you are going to a DNS name) then the MGB needs to be in either a DMZ or in Server-Gateway mode with it's own public IP address.

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
Yes, that's right. Sorry for the confusion - the MBG is there just because it came in with the MiVoice Business appliance, and when I went through the setup wizard, it set it up to use as the outbound proxy.

If I were to bypass the MBG and go directly from the MCD to the SIP gateway, is that just a case of de-selecting the Outbound Proxy setting in the Sip Peer Profile, and disabling the Sip Trunk setup in the MBG?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:26:14 PM »
Yes, that's right. Sorry for the confusion - the MBG is there just because it came in with the MiVoice Business appliance, and when I went through the setup wizard, it set it up to use as the outbound proxy.

If I were to bypass the MBG and go directly from the MCD to the SIP gateway, is that just a case of de-selecting the Outbound Proxy setting in the Sip Peer Profile, and disabling the Sip Trunk setup in the MBG?
So the SIP provider has a gateway inside the LAN? Then yes, you are correct. No need to deprogram the MBG though, just disable the trunking connector until you get it working.

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
Thanks, ace. It's still coming up in the logs with the same error message, but with these changes, I'll have to go back to them to confirm the SIP INVITE packets they are getting to see if it's doing the same thing or something different.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 02:51:49 AM »
Hi bboopeep,

Have you followed the Telstra document? There is a Mitel document on setting up MCD with Telstra SIP.

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 03:03:17 AM »
Hi sarond,

Yes, I was sent one that was created for MCD4.0 it looks like, but I was able to work out which options were in which section in the current version. Do you know if there were any later documents for later versions of MCD at all?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 04:27:43 AM »
What does your Network Element look like?
Your FQDN should be your domain
Your register address should be your domain
Your external proxy FQDN should be Telstra's SBC, sbc-state.nipt.telstra.com (i.e. sbc-nsw.nipt.telstra.com)

and you must use Telstra DNS servers as per the document.

Offline bboopeep

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
Sarond and ace, I really would like to buy you a carton of beer. I don't know why, but I had the sbc-nsw address in the Register field and also in the external proxy field. Updated the Register field to my domain and the Log now shows it's registered

:D:D:D

For reference, here is the relevant section from the document that Telstra sent through. I can see now what it means, even though it's mis-aligned.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10