Author Topic: ISDN services terminating - NBN coming  (Read 1142 times)

Offline AIM-Andrew

• Contributer
    • View Profile
ISDN services terminating - NBN coming
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »
Hello everyone.

Here in AU, our PSTN, ISDN, FrameRelay, ADSL and other services are being terminated in favour of the new National Broadband Network (NBN).

Our ISDN services are slated to be disconnected in 18 months or so and our 3300CX is connected to it.

I have a little time up my sleeve so I thought I would pose the question, primarily to the AU members, what do I need to do, hardware or software  wise, in preparation for the change from ISDN to NBN?

VoIP is not my area of IT expertise so any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ISDN services terminating - NBN coming
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:27:24 PM »
You likely will be required to add SIP trunk licenses and convert to SIP.

Offline AIM-Andrew

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »
Thanks, I have heard the term before but didn't put 2 and 2 together. 

I suspect it would then become a VoIP service from end to end.

Additional hardware and licensing on the horizon I guess.

Appreciate the quick response.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:31:56 PM by AIM-Andrew »

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
You will need to consider the security posture of your network when moving to an IP-based voice service.

The standard config is to use a Mitel MBG. The MBG is like a special firewall just for your SIP service. You can set it up as a gateway in line between your Controller and the carrier's SIP service, or you can put it in your DMZ.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 01:31:47 AM »
The solution will also depend on the carrier you go with, they all have their way of providing SIP.
Some providers will only SIP trunk on their private links, this is another cost involved as you need to be connected to their managed network.

Also there are ways to keep your ISDN card in the system and just use a device to convert SIP to ISDN.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »
Sarond

Also there are ways to keep your ISDN card in the system and just use a device to convert SIP to ISDN.

What are you guys using for this? I know in the States, Adtran makes some good devices.

Used one on a current customer who moved to a new location and will also be changing platforms. They are going from 5000 to 3300 virtual. Part of this is the conversion of dial tone from current PRI to SIP. Since this is multi 5000's and the MPLS infrastruce is staged, I had to come up with a method to keep them going. I preprogrammed the VM on the customer equipment prior to the site move. Turned up the SIP on a test system and verified routing to all locations.  Day of the port, had the carrier running on the test system which had their SIP and SIP to Adtran. The Adtran converted back to PRI. Trunk Service takes all inbound and adds a digit back to ars.  I had the Adtran 908e and this didn't require adding additional licenses to the 5000.

Let me know what you all do. I assume that an Adtran could also do what the OP wants, might need to get a T1/E1 card and run it like NA

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 01:25:40 AM »
johnp,

The Adtran looks like a good product and I'm sure it would be able to do what is required.

The carrier will normally supply the termination, of late I have seen the OneAccess brand but couldn't tell you a model number.

I know Telstra (Carrier) are going to start supplying a SIP to TDM device with their deployments.
This device will convert SIP to Analog/ISDN2/SIP(SBC)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10