Author Topic: Translating dialed digits  (Read 5298 times)

interopPbxs

Translating dialed digits
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:40:35 PM »
Assume I have the following extensions: 1000 and 2000. A typical dial plan would be something like Area Code + office code (location code) + extension.

If there are multiple locations I see how to route on the area code + office codes and terminate a call to a trunk so that it is routed to a second location.

However if a user dials their own AC + office code + extension or just office + extension how do I get Mitel to terminate to the extension without routing over a trunk.

I found the System Speed Call Assignment option where I could enter the combinations for every user. Depending on how many users are on the system this could be a very large amount of data that has to be added.

Is there a better way to accomplish this routing.

Thanks

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Translating dialed digits
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »
Are you saying that users are dialing 9+11 digits to call an extension on their own PBX?
Or is it that you have IP trunking between two controllers that the users are calling 9+11 digits to get to rather than just an extension?

If the extension are on your own pbx, you may just have to set up a route that blocks the call from going out to those numbers, forcing them to dial 4 digits.

If the calls are on another controller, set up a new route that points to the IP trunks and delete the unwanted digits.

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:00:54 PM by ralph »

interopPbxs

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »
No users are not dialing 9+11 digits.

They are dialing 7 digits or 10 digits.

For example:
Extension: 1000
Extension 2000
Office Code: 555
Area Code: 214

User 2000 dials 1000 or 5551000 or 2145551000. All need to route locally on their PBX to extension 1000.

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »
May I ask why you are having them dial an office code to call someone else on their system? If they are on another system that is connected via IP trunks you can simply build a route that would absorb the office code prior to sending the extension number to the other controller.
ie. ARS digits dialed "555xxx" or "555" with 4 to follow (there are many ways to program this part) goes to route "10." Route 10 will use IP trunk group 10, COR 10, and digit mod 10 (I am assuming that the other controller is not being accessed via PSTN). COR 10 should allow the user access the route, and set the digits to absorb in digit mod 10 to "3" (if your office code is three digits long).

This should get the call to the other user, you also could send all 1000 series numbers to the other controller in a similar fassion if all numbers on the other controller start with "1."

As far as dialing an extension on the same controller it should do this by default by dialing the extension number.

ie. If 1000 and 2000 are on the same controller then simply dialing "1000" will call extension 1000 even if nothing else on the controller has been programmed.

If this doesn't make sense let me know I tend to type in the same pattern in which I think which can be  a little scattered at times.

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
Will all have the same area code and exchage number, "214555?" If so change the above route to have digits dialed "214555" with 4 to follow and absorb 6 and this should work.

Add both entries to allow "5551000" and "2145551000" to reach the same area.

Also, you may need to change "214555" with 4 to follow to "2145551" with 3 to follow if they need to dial 214-555-xxxx numbers at another location or on the PSTN.

Best practice is to have the users dial only the extension numbers instead of the entire number.

interopPbxs

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:47:02 PM »
We are not requiring users to dial office codes. However we do not want to fail the call or force the user to redial. We have other PBXs that we interop with and have been able to setup translations on them to handle this.  However on Mitel I did not find any other way to accomplish this accept for using System Speed Call Assignment option.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »
Mattmayn has it right - if you are dialing accross a network to another system.  I'm still unclear on this.

If you are dialing to another PBX you can do this no problem.

Create two routes.   
  1st route is for if the user dial the outside number.  In the digit mode delete everthing except the extension number and route it accross your network.
  2nd route is a normal 4 digit dialing plan.  Route it accross your network.
  3rd route if wanted - route out the CO's (just in case your network goes down)

If your phones are all on the same net work, you may have an option of setting up a "loop back" route, where you set up an IP route to your own PBX and route those calls to that.

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:01:28 PM by ralph »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10