Author Topic: the call back number is foward to wrong number ?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Vicbob

• View Profile
the call back number is foward to wrong number ?
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
Hello,

Have a customer that is getting calls that, they have called them, and they did not. the caller ID number 555 5551579 when you call it you will hear a recording that says your call maybe monitor or recorded then it will call the customer autoattendent
when you call the customers real main number 555 555 1234 it ring right to the attendant, no recording. is call blocking the number the only answer? Also 555 555 1589 was another number that showed up for caller ID ??? so I do not think it was a case of some one made a mistake on call forwarding???

Thanks ?
Vic bob

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: the call back number is foward to wrong number ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
Hello,

Have a customer that is getting calls that, they have called them, and they did not. the caller ID number 555 5551579 when you call it you will hear a recording that says your call maybe monitor or recorded then it will call the customer autoattendent
when you call the customers real main number 555 555 1234 it ring right to the attendant, no recording. is call blocking the number the only answer? Also 555 555 1589 was another number that showed up for caller ID ??? so I do not think it was a case of some one made a mistake on call forwarding???

Thanks ?
Vic bob
I'm assuming you masked the real numbers here... but I don't really understand what you trying to explain here.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Vicbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:10:06 AM »
Hello,

Thanks ?
Vic bob
I'm assuming you masked the real numbers here... but I don't really understand what you trying to explain here.

people are calling the customer, that they have called by them with this number 555 555 1589 showing for caller ID. That number is not the customers number.it is 555 555 8888 When you call 555 555 1589 you get a recording that says the call maybe monitor for recording then it rings to the auto attendant. if you call 555 555 8888 you do not get the recording it goes right to the auto attendant. The customer thinks the phone system is calling these people?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
Hello,

Thanks ?
Vic bob

people are calling the customer, that they have called by them with this number 555 555 1589 showing for caller ID. That number is not the customers number.it is 555 555 8888 When you call 555 555 1589 you get a recording that says the call maybe monitor for recording then it rings to the auto attendant. if you call 555 555 8888 you do not get the recording it goes right to the auto attendant. The customer thinks the phone system is calling these people?
On a PRI, the outbound caller ID comes from one of three places...

1) From the phone itself, each device can be assigned a specific outgoing caller ID number
2) From the CO Trunk Group, each trunk group can have an outbound caller ID assigned to it. This number is sent if there no number assigned at the device level
3) from the Telco, if no number is sent by the system, the provider typically sends the main billing number which is usually the "main number" but doesn't necessarily have to be. Sometimes the provider will over-ride any number sent, especially if it isn't valid, formatted incorrectly, or isn't a number that they provide. Other times they will over-ride the number in all call scenarios.

If people your customer is calling are getting the incorrect number, then it is coming from one of those 3 places. You can see what you are actually sending to the Telco on the pri circuit through the ssh shell of the 5000.

When people call back the number they are seeing, is it actually going to the correct place but including a recording, or is it going some place else entirely.

Offline Vicbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
it is Comcast analog lines, when the customer calls out it shows their number 555 555 8888. but the people that are getting these phone calls it shows 555 555 1589. and when you call 555 555 1589 you get the recording that the call maybe monitored and recorded then it rings to the customers auto attendant. the people think the customer is calling them, but they are not. the 555 555 1589 number is calling them.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »
You cannot set outbound caller ID on analog lines... that is purely on Comcast's end then, you likely have multiple lines, and each analog line has a unique number. Most likely that number is one of the roll-over lines.

Offline Vicbob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
each analog line is set to show 555 555 8888 for caller ID, and the number that is going to people is 555 555 1589
the people say that they are asking for social security numbers. when you call the 555 555 1589 number that is when you hear the recording that says the call maybe monitored and recorded then it is forwarded to 555 555 8888 I think that the 555 555 1589 number needs to be block to call the 555 555 8888 number.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »
each analog line is set to show 555 555 8888 for caller ID, and the number that is going to people is 555 555 1589
the people say that they are asking for social security numbers. when you call the 555 555 1589 number that is when you hear the recording that says the call maybe monitored and recorded then it is forwarded to 555 555 8888 I think that the 555 555 1589 number needs to be block to call the 555 555 8888 number.
I'm sorry, but this is even more confusing...

If each analog line is set by Comcast to send 555-555-8888 and you place a call and the caller is getting 555-555-1589 then Comcast has it wrong.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem, are you saying that people are getting calls "from you" that show 555-555-1589 as the caller ID asking for personal information and it is NOT your company? And when they call it back it isn't going to you? So basically someone is spoofing your caller ID name, sending 555-555-1589 as the caller ID in a phishing scheme for information, and then actually redirecting it back to you if the caller calls the number?

The whole "your call may be monitored or recorded" is odd, but it sounds like a redirect service... something car dealers use a lot. You know like if you google a local car dealer and get a number that seems odd or is toll free even for a local dealer (and you have difficulty finding their local number in a normal Google search), and when you call it you hear that recording but the call goes to the right place, that is a redirecting service car dealers use to keep track of internet sales or just call numbers. Redirect services give month reports to the car dealer showing the number of calls they got for them. Odd, but I know this is more common place you would think. (just throwing it out there, might have nothing to do with our situation)

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 07:23:57 AM »
Vicbob,

Have you tried to do a reverse lookup to see who owns that number? I agree with Acejavelin in that the customers name is being spoofed and they are redirecting the callers back to the real location to make it seem more legit. Once you find out which carrier owns the number you can put in a request that all callers calling that number go nowhere or get an intercept recording with a warning or something.

Thanks,

TE
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:25:37 AM by Tech Electronics »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10