Author Topic: Poor Audio quality with POTS lines  (Read 3041 times)

Offline telcoengineer

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Poor Audio quality with POTS lines
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
We have been having many issues lately with the Mitel 5000 with IP phones connected to specifically AT&T POTS lines. We have ran the Hybbrid Balance test and have even adjusted the DB gain levels for transmit and receive as advised by Mitel Support.
We have not had issues with Comcast Business, TDS Metrocom, Charter or Time Warner which are all the major carriers in our area. AT&T on the old copper POTS seem to be our problem child.
We still continue to have issues and cannot seem to find a happy medium. I was in hopes that other techs have experienced the issue and may have some additional tips.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Audio quality with POTS lines
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
Telcoengineer,

There is a known issue with POTS and IP Phones on some versions of 5000 Software. What version are you running?

Thanks,

TE

Offline telcoengineer

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 11:21:01 AM »
Current version 6.0SP2PR1 (6.0 SP2 Release 59)

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »
Telcoengineer,

I am not aware of any issues with that version and POTS, but then again we have not started using it yet either since the issues they do have we don't want to deal with. We currently use 6.0 SP1 PR5 for our latest version and the issue was fixed in that version on PR4.

Sorry,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »
Have you ran the hybrid and echo loss tests to adjust the lines?

I recently had a customer that had 8 copper lines on CenturyLink (ie. Qwest/US West) on a 5000, no matter what we did, how many times we ran the tests, and how we adjusted the lines, they constantly complained of poor audio, echo, low volumes, and crackling, but testing with a butt set was fine and pulling out the old 3M 965 put the lines in a marginal to unacceptable state with power influence very high and rather high loss levels... apparently the 5000 doesn't like that too much, we finally got the customer to switch to Midcontinent Communications (cable provider) for dial tone and re-ran all the tests in the 5000 and they are happy as can be now, and even though they were in a contract with CenturyLink for like another 2 years, after paying the ridiculously high ETF and fees they will still save several thousand dollars over 5 years.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:39:29 AM by acejavelin »

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »
Telcoengineer,

Have you tested the voltage and current on those lines as well as the resistance, maybe they are out of spec.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10