Author Topic: Help with Mitel 5000 series system  (Read 5111 times)

Offline bstrain74

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Help with Mitel 5000 series system
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »
Hello all. I'm hoping that some of you experts can help. We have 5 Mitel 5000 series systems at our locations all running some old software. Some version 2, some version 3. I dont think we have software assurance so our vendor is asking about $1300 to update just 1 location, wow. Any way I can do that myself??

My main questions have to do with the software and administering the system. I do have access to each system using Session Manager/DB Studio, I'm not sure of the difference. In the Session Manager I see 'Email Gateway'. I can easily plug in the settings required but what does this do? Send out alerts??

Under Maintnenace there is a 'System Health Report'. I'll assume this will send out a daily email to me?

I also see 'System Manager' with a 192.168 ip address that will not work with our network. Is that some type of web admin interface and if so how do I get it to work, just change the ip address??

ANy other tidbits I should know?? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: Help with Mitel 5000 series system
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »
Not sure that I would tackle that without a good knowledge of the system.  Luckily, I only have one 5000 and a support agreement to cover upgrades - so I can learn at a more leisurely pace.  But you probably do need to upgrade the system or you won't be able to take advantage of all the new stuff Mitel is doing with it.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
Hello all. I'm hoping that some of you experts can help. We have 5 Mitel 5000 series systems at our locations all running some old software. Some version 2, some version 3. I dont think we have software assurance so our vendor is asking about $1300 to update just 1 location, wow. Any way I can do that myself??

My main questions have to do with the software and administering the system. I do have access to each system using Session Manager/DB Studio, I'm not sure of the difference. In the Session Manager I see 'Email Gateway'. I can easily plug in the settings required but what does this do? Send out alerts??

Under Maintnenace there is a 'System Health Report'. I'll assume this will send out a daily email to me?

I also see 'System Manager' with a 192.168 ip address that will not work with our network. Is that some type of web admin interface and if so how do I get it to work, just change the ip address??

ANy other tidbits I should know?? Thanks for any help you can provide.
I will try to hit these one at a time...

1) No, you cannot upgrade yourself or without software assurance, even if you had the software. The license key in your system is specific to your system and the software version, if you install a different version your license will be invalid and your system will always show an alarm and reset automatically at regular intervals, a new software license key is needed when software is upgraded and it can only be generated if software assurance is active and only by your authorized Mitel dealer. $1300 seems a little extreme for one site, but the cost is set my Mitel and is dependent on each sites licensing and options.

2a) The Email Gateway information is nothing in itself, it used mainly by the embedded voicemail for voicemail to email services.

2B & 3) Honestly, I have never used the "System Health Report" so I can't answer that question. I have never seen a way for the system to send out maintenance notification emails of alarms, problems, etc.

4) System Manager is a licensable, management piece of software for monitoring and provisioning multiple systems, and is unrelated to the web interface. The IP you are seeing there is the IP address of the system that is running that software, and has nothing to do with the internal interfaces. The Web interface should be available at https://<system ip> and requires a username and password login. There isn't much that can be done there other than software upgrades and retrieval of system logs.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:48:06 AM by acejavelin »

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
$1,300 is more than double what an upgrade should cost through Software Assurance. Why not just sign up for Software Assurance through your dealer?

You’ll need to update your Compact Flash, a one-time expense.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »
$1300 seems a little extreme for one site, but the cost is set my Mitel and is dependent on each sites licensing and options.

You’ll need to update your Compact Flash, a one-time expense.

It would seem to me that part of the cost is the Software Assurance Re-enlistment fee.   It also makes a little more sense knowing you also have to upgrade your flash card.   There could also be some other things built in the cost we don't see such as cost to travel to site (a two hour drive to site would be a 4 hour round trip).   Things start to add up rather quickly.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10