Author Topic: A challange  (Read 3206 times)

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
A challange
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
I just had another call from a customer that wants to block certain external numbers from calling DID numbers.
As you know, there is no way to stop anyone from calling a DID number on a 3300.   You'd have to use a 6510 to do.

But.....

This occurs to me:
You could do this with SIP trunks and an Asterisk Box sitting in between the Mitel and the CO.

Here's how it would work.   
A call come into the Asterisk box.  It evaluates the Caller ID and if not blocked passes it along to the Mitel.
If it was blocked, it could (1) dump the call, (2) give a message to the caller letting them know they can't call there. 
If there wan't caller ID, then the Asterisk box could ask the caller to press a digit to verify it wasn't a Robo call.

So here's the challange: 
I know a few of you have some Asterisk background.  Can you assist in setting this up and testing?   Perhaps this is something we could collaborate together to create right here on this forum.

Any takers?

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:15:53 PM by ralph »

Offline glennmitel

• View Profile
    • Capital support
Re: A challange
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »
How about if you had a 6160 server with ANI enabled

add the DDI or DID number to the ANI form then route that to a main number of to a phone that is out of service ?

regards

glennmitel

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »
Would the 6160 allow DID pass through?   Meaning someone calls my DID and the 6160 intercepts it, then forwards up to me?

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:16:18 PM by ralph »

Offline glennmitel

• View Profile
    • Capital support
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
yes you would just need to tell the 6160 which DID numbers to forward to you

Offline bobcheese

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »
you would need a ANI and DNIS queuery for each DID to vet the caller & then route the call to the correct ext. It is worth considering how many calls you would pass across this link as you will need to work out how many ports would be needed.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:08:16 AM »
One of the things that I'd think I'd be interested in is: cheap.
How inexpensively could this be done - labor wise, licenses and hardware.
Another thing I'd like to NOT HAPPEN is some unusual caller experience such as <<ringing - long delay or Transfer Hold Music and then ringing again>>.  I think that would confuse customers and also why I'd lean away from using a 6160.

Thinking about it this morning, it occurs to me that I could do this with a Ingate SIParator.  Wouldn't even need carrier SIP trunks.
Call come in on a PRI.  Strip of X digits add X digits and route to SIParator via SIP trunks.   The SIParator filters out the unwanted calls and routes back to the Mitel where the Absorb and Insert in the trunk service form converts it back the the original DID number.   In the event the SIParator fails a simple mod to the trunk service form brings everything live again.   The SIParator isn't free but not that expensive either.

Could do the same thing with an Astrisk box also I would have to think.   Either way, using SIP to do the filtering shouldn't change the caller experience in anyway.   

I'll have to play a bit and see what I can do.

Ralph

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:06:18 AM by ralph »

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:16:46 PM »
  Interesting - doing SIP would introduce delay/jitter which might affect modems and/or credit card machines.  Perhaps OK in a LAN environment but just something to think about. 

Now I need to look at the SipArator more....

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10