Author Topic: LLDP Question  (Read 10384 times)

Offline pakman

• View Profile
Re: LLDP Question
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses regarding DHCP but those answers I don't think apply in my case. That phone is on site and I definitely don't go around putting phones in teleworker mode and I'm sure the end user didn't do this.  So that begs the question how did this phone boot up and work off our DHCP server without option 125?

Let's say this phone did have teleworker turned on somehow, with me putting it in the voice vlan now and it booting up off the controller using option 125 would teleworker mode prevent this? I could have the end user verify for me that it's on or off but thought I would ask.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »
In the ideal setup, phones should run on their own vlan so that priority can be establihed. With that said, certain ports for devices must be setup correct, i.e. the data dchp server is only on the data vlan, depending upon model of controller it may  need to be only on the voice vlan.

There are several methods to get phones to reside on the desired vlan, i.e. cdp, lldp, dhcp. Not all Mitel phone will support these methods, but most will.

Upon boot the newer phones will seek info from cdp, lldp and then dhcp. Within dhcp, there are several ways to provide phones the needed info. options 43 and 125 versus the older 128,129 etc.

This is in the tech handbook. may not be explained well though.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »
There is some good documentation in the Appendix of the Engineering Guidelines.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
I found a particular switchport that didn't have 802.1X settings nor was it  setup on the voice vlan. When I looked at the mac table It showed a phone and pc registered. I confirmed the PBX had this phone in the all IP phone inventory and had an IP address from our data side.

I'm wondering how this phone is working since only PBX's hand out DHCP info to our phones and we have a separate DHCP server on our domain controllers for data. I was under the impressing that phones had to have option 125 in order to work properly? I don't have any phone options on the DC related to phones.

If the phone is registered to the controller then something has told it the controller's IP address - what options are present in your DHCP scope for the subnet the phone is in?

Offline pakman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »
Hello VinceWhirlwind,

Inside the DHCP scope for our phone subnets there is option 125 among others. My point is that this phone registered to a different DHCP server one that does not hand out anything related to phones yet the phone managed to find it's way to the controller and somehow register. I found another phone like the one I found and will investigate a little further.

Thanks,

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »
My point is that this phone registered to a different DHCP server one that does not hand out anything related to phones yet the phone managed to find it's way to the controller and somehow register.

What is this device? It may need to be set to only reside on it's primary vlan.

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 10:15:52 PM »
My point is that this phone registered to a different DHCP server one that does not hand out anything related to phones yet the phone managed to find it's way to the controller and somehow register.

My point was to ask do you really know that? Usually the explanation for a mysterious occurrence is that an assumption has occurred.

If I was in that situation, I would make sure I knew because I had seen with own eyes exactly which DHCP server(s) was seeing the DHCP broadcast and which one(s) was(were) answering and what the offer contained and where the lease was recorded, etc..

If I didn't find something there, I would try factory-resetting the phone to see if things stay the same, or trying a new phone.
I recall with Ericsson phones, if the phone was unable to contact a DHCP server, it would magically remember the VLAN and IP address it had last used and use them. Maybe Mitel phones remember stuff?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10