Author Topic: Remote Upgrade from 5.1 to 6.0 SP2 - 5000 HX w/ PS-1  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Hovus

• View Profile
Remote Upgrade from 5.1 to 6.0 SP2 - 5000 HX w/ PS-1
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
Hello folks!

I'm tasked with upgrading a 5k to the latest release and while this wouldn't give me a second thought normally, I'm left second guessing procedures in the installation doc because this particular customer has a PS-1 and I've never upgraded one before... According to the install doc, it says to upgrade the base server (chassis 5000 HX) via TFTP, once complete, repeat TFTP upgrade for processing server (PS-1). My worry is that once the base server is upgraded, the PS-1 will lose connectivity because of software mismatch or something and I won't be able to get into it to upgrade it. Am I thinking too much into it? Is it as easy as upgrading base server via TFTP, then upgrade PS-1 via TFTP and the connection between base server and processing server never goes down?

Offline Hovus

• View Profile
Re: Remote Upgrade from 5.1 to 6.0 SP2 - 5000 HX w/ PS-1
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:33:14 AM »
No one's upgraded a PS-1?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »
Hovus,

We do not upgrade PS-1s remotely so I can't answer your question with any authority, but if I had to guess you would need to get to the customer network via VPN so that you have an IP address on their network that can access both the Base Controller and the PS-1. If you are able to do that then in theory it should work, but I have never done it myself. We always go on site with a new disc to upgrade the PS-1 and then load the converted database and voicemail information back on.

Sorry,

TE

Offline Hovus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply. From your description, it sounds like you reimage the PS-1 each time? Why don't you use the TFTP via web gui?

Offline 619Tech

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
Hovus - You will upgrade both via GUI/tftp. Setup a tftp locally with the software load. You will upgrade the base chassis and the ps-1 via the gui. The files for both are within the software folder, so same target (used to be separate). Ive had creds and/or IP info revert back to default settings after upgrading (ps-1 defaulted, chassis didn't), which can cause minor difficulties in re-establishing their connectivity. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
Hovus,

To answer your questions, yes I do reimage every time and that is due to experience with issues upgrading via TFTP. I find it to be easier, faster, more reliable, but not as convenient due to being required onsite. Also since you have to do a backup and DB Test, which usually requires an upload then there is no lost time in doing it that way and I have never had an issue with it, ever. We also do a lot of testing to ensure there are no upgrade issues which requires us to be onsite anyway. Sometimes that is combined with the PM so it is two birds with one stone.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10