Author Topic: Level 3 SIP and Mitel 3300  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Geppetto

• View Profile
Level 3 SIP and Mitel 3300
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm a little confused and need guidance.  My VAR (i'm an ex tech so I know some things but now work for a customer) My Var sold me some Level 3 SIP trunks.  Level 3 delivered the T1 for the SIP the other day and I plugged it in to my router and it is up/up.  Now what the heck am I supposed to do?  I always thought that SIP had to go through the MBG (which I have for Teleworker now).  So do I route any traffic from that T1 to the MBG?  My VAR seems totally clueless.  Do I need to program a bunch of SIP commands directly on the router and thus bypass the MBG (and thus negating the need for SIP trunk licenses on it?) 

MCD 3300 is at latest release.  SO is MBG.  SIP trunks terminate in one of our offices on that 3300.  The MBG is in our datacenter.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Level 3 SIP and Mitel 3300
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
Oh man.
There's a lot that still needs to be done.
You need SIP licenses.  At least for the 3300.   If you're going to use the MBG (recommended) then you need trunk licenses for that.

You have to do all the 3300 trunk programming.  That includes network elements and SIP peers.
In order to bring up the trunks you'll have to work directly with Level 3 to turn them up since you'll need passwords and accounts.

If you use your MBG then there will be some programming there also.
If not, there may be a bunch of IP routing that will need to be done in the data network to ensure you don't get one way audio.

I hope your dealer didn't do a dump and run.   I believe you'll want your VAR to do the turn up. 

Ralph

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:07:50 PM »
If you are on a Level3 circuit and not going through the interwebs, authentication is optional. If you are going to connect the peer straight to the 3300 they will have to add the entire subnet to their router config to allow audio to pass properly (they really don't like doing this and I do t blame them). That is a very basic overview. As Ralph said, there is much more. And I second the recommendation of MBG. Your life will be easier. 

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »
You don't necessarily need an MBG for SIP trunking. It is just an option because it is SIP aware which some firewalls aren't. I have seen SIP delivered on an existing MPLS circuit, via a T1 like you have and through an MBG. If you use an MBG it needs a SIP license for each SIP trunk. The 3300 also needs a SIP license for each SIP trunk. Think you will need to program SIP trunks on the 3300 and will likely give it the IP address of the router as the registration source. Think I say a doc for programmming to Level 3 on MOL.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10