Author Topic: Echo on Phantom Speed Dial Calls  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Cathy

• View Profile
Echo on Phantom Speed Dial Calls
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »
Hi - disclaimer - I am not a Mitel technician, I am an I.T. geek who semi-manages three. I am learning the software and have learned how to create a speed dial list using Phantom extensions. I then export it to my other two sites over our VPN.

Our setup:  Three sites connected by always-on SonicWall VPN. Each site has a Mitel 5000, installed in March 2014. These are not set up as IP phones. However, we are able to connect with the other sites because of the VPN we already have.

HX Controller
Software ver  6.0
Call processing version:  6.0.9.61

I hope that is enough info. Here's my issue:

Users at one site only are complaining that when they use the speed dials, there is an echo on the line. Any idea how to fix this or what other data I need to get from the users?

I have already asked them for these data:
1. Which phone line(s)
2. Is the echo heard by the caller AND callee, or just one?

Is there anything in the software I can check/adjust?

Thanks everyone,

Cathy / Maine

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Echo on Phantom Speed Dial Calls
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:28:43 AM »
Why are you using phantom extensions for speed dials?

Offline Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »
Fewer numbers to dial. This way they only have to dial four numbers. To use the regular speed dial, it would be more.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »
Hmm, speed dials are Speed Dial Key plus three numbers. Still equals four buttons pressed.

Just a guess, not knowing exactly what you have…

If you are using phantoms to dial your “speed dial” numbers, those calls originating off-node are being routed over your data network to the node where those phantoms reside, and placed using the local trunks there. Depending on the quality of your network, the echo could be originating there.

If those calls are placed using analog trunks, the conversion from VoIP to analog can produce an echo. Using G.729 compression can make marginal audio sound even worse.

Is the echo problem occurring just off-node calls, with local calls sounding okay?

Offline Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »
The tech that set up the Mitel told me it would be more than four numbers. I can't tell you much more than that.

Now - back to the matter at hand: When I created the speed-dial list (and when I update it), I exported it to the other two sites, so they have it on their systems, too. They wouldn't be going over the VPN to use this feature. We have three Mitel 5000 systems, one at each site.

This is only happening at one site and they are telling me that it is only when on calls that were placed using the speed dial (phantom) function.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:15:39 PM »
Cathy,

Have them upgrade your sites to software version 6.0.10.77 [6.0 SP1 PR1] and see if the problem persists. The version they have you on is the default version sent with the Compact Flash card, I believe, and there have been many fixes to it since then, especially with audio and POTS lines. Starting in March I believe they rolled out 6.0 SP1 PR1 and prior to that they should have been using 6.0 PR5 [6.0.9.69].

Thanks,

Steven

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
Cathy,

If they are dialing a phantom extension which is programmed to immediately dial an outside number (which is how I’m guessing you’re doing this), the call will be placed based on the phantom’s outgoing extension, not the station dialing the phantom.

Only one node will be placing calls using local trunks, the other two will be placing calls off-node via the VPN.

The right way to do this is use real system speed dial numbers. You can create them once in Excel and upload them to each system, so they’re all the same.

Offline Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »
I have posed both issues (software version and phantoms using the VPN) as questions to my tech at the company that installed this system.

Thanks for the feedback -

Cathy

Offline bhackbarth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 10:52:45 PM »
The company that installed that system should really upgrade those systems as Steven suggested.  6.0 SP1 PR3 is the latest last I checked.  The version you are running has many bugs, many having to do with audio.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10