Author Topic: QQ setting up replacement MSL server  (Read 3892 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
QQ setting up replacement MSL server
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
So I am setting up a new replacement MSL server that needs to be pre-built, loaded, and configured then shipped out. My question is if I change the sysid in AMC and build up the new server and load the blades (this is an older MSL 8.5.17 server), will the old server continue on like normal since it syncs every few hours and it will see that the AMC app record and it's ID don't match anymore? Will this be an issue if it takes a week or two to get the new server up and running?

Offline Navarre

• View Profile
Re: QQ setting up replacement MSL server
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »
So I am setting up a new replacement MSL server that needs to be pre-built, loaded, and configured then shipped out. My question is if I change the sysid in AMC and build up the new server and load the blades (this is an older MSL 8.5.17 server), will the old server continue on like normal since it syncs every few hours and it will see that the AMC app record and it's ID don't match anymore? Will this be an issue if it takes a week or two to get the new server up and running?

To sync the new box with the old arid you'll need to clear the HW footprint at the AMC. This will then prevent the old box from syncing.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Tagging on, because I've wondered the same thing before.

I think the old server will continue to operate, but go into alarm.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
That's fine... nothing will change in the mean time and if it's just alarm its no big deal.

Problem now is I'm stuck installing MSL, in the initial configuration process and enter the domain, then it asks for system name and nothing I put in the field will allow me to go on. Move to a different vc and log in as admin and try configure through menu interface and I am stuck at the same place... weird

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »
That's fine... nothing will change in the mean time and if it's just alarm its no big deal.

Problem now is I'm stuck installing MSL, in the initial configuration process and enter the domain, then it asks for system name and nothing I put in the field will allow me to go on. Move to a different vc and log in as admin and try configure through menu interface and I am stuck at the same place... weird
Hmmm... it appears like it can't start the network portion, it never goes to selecting the network adapter and configuring IP information. Doing a fresh install but have a feeling this HP DL320e G8 server is just too new for MSL 8.5.17.0, already had to do a little trickery to get the cd to be recognized (load AHCI drivers manually), Im not sure what else to try... I gotta have that specific version of MSL to allow use of Mobile Extension and Multi-Protocol Border Gateway to co-exist on the same server for this application.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
For the original question of if the old one will keep humming along, the answer is yes. It will fail trying to sync to the AMC as the hardware ID won't match, but everything will keep working.

Hmmm... it appears like it can't start the network portion, it never goes to selecting the network adapter and configuring IP information. Doing a fresh install but have a feeling this HP DL320e G8 server is just too new for MSL 8.5.17.0, already had to do a little trickery to get the cd to be recognized (load AHCI drivers manually), Im not sure what else to try... I gotta have that specific version of MSL to allow use of Mobile Extension and Multi-Protocol Border Gateway to co-exist on the same server for this application.
How come you are installing MSL 8.5 on the new server? Wouldn't it have been better to just install latest fresh and then do a restore?

Can't say I've tried a DL320, but they should work, especially with the latest MSL. Does the DL320 appear on the MSL HQL?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
For the original question of if the old one will keep humming along, the answer is yes. It will fail trying to sync to the AMC as the hardware ID won't match, but everything will keep working.

How come you are installing MSL 8.5 on the new server? Wouldn't it have been better to just install latest fresh and then do a restore?

Can't say I've tried a DL320, but they should work, especially with the latest MSL. Does the DL320 appear on the MSL HQL?
I am stuck using MSL 8.5 since this customer needs Mobile Extension and Teleworker in a single server application, they have the old MAS 6000 right now with ME and TW and the server is failing... 3300's in cluster are at release an old (pre-MCD release). The last MSL release that supported ME and TW (Mitel Border Gateway) in stand-alone "blades" is 8.5. The previous server is so old this isn't even an "upgrade", it's a clean install and hand-pack of the database (which is minor, 10 ME users and 10 remote phones), the issue is keeping all the features and be compatible with the 3300's.

The DL320e G8 is indeed on the HCL, which is why we got it... but apparently only for 9.(something) or better, the issue I am having seems to be related to the embedded NIC not being seen in the CentOS 4.6 (that MSL 8.5 is based on). It took a lot of digging and talking with support engineering to come up with a solution for this situation...

And I did come up with a server that is compatible 8.5,  I found a vendor that has a new, sealed in the box DL320 G5P server that will work for what I need (it is on the MSL 8.5 HCL) that I can get a "good deal" on... will what kind of price he shots me in the morning. Just going to shelve the new server and keep it for a newer MSL installation of some kind.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10