Author Topic: Whenever an outside line calls in the recipient cannot hear audio.  (Read 5582 times)

Offline HelpDeskGuy

• View Profile
I need help this problem has been plaguing us for a few weeks now.

I'm the Help Desk guy at our office, and this task has been placed on me because the IT manager quit and the sys admin is busy with other things. I'm no VOIP Expert, so I could really use a hand as to what might be the issue.

We have a satellite office located a state away, everything in the main office is working just fine. The satellite office connects to us VIA a VPN via a Fortigate Firewall. Recently the satellite office changed its ISP, and ever since then whenever an outside line calls in to their phones the person receiving the call can hear no audio, the caller can hear. If a call is placed from an inside line, everything works fine. If  somebody in the satellite office calls out to an outside line, everything works fine.

From research I've heard this is most likely a routing issue, but I have almost no documentation at all on the Teleworker 3300, I don't know what to look for.

When I called one support line they asked me to do a packet capture from that location, but I barely know what I'm supposed to be looking for, and when I do the packet cap and filter it so only traffic going to this phones IP address is shown, there just isn't any real information there, basically just shows my phone chatting with his phone. The other strange part is, if I do a packet cap on say my co workers phone right next to me, and isolate to his address I get a ton more information.

I'll happily share any information needed, but I could really use a hand here. This has been frustrating me very much, and I am pretty green having only been working in an enterprise environment for 1 year now, doing mostly desktop support and helpdesk issues.

Thank you so much for reading.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Whenever an outside line calls in the recipient cannot hear audio.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »
Yes, it's going to be an IP routing issue.
Somewhere, either the Teleworker server or a router doesn't know how to reach the network where the phone exist.

Probably the easiest place to start is to try and ping the IP address of the phone from your desktop and then from your teleworker server and backtrack from there.

But here are some other questions:
Does your teleworker server have 2 active nics?
Does internal calls from your main office to the remote phone work ok?
Is the outside call coming in on a SIP trunk or on a PRI?

Ralph

Offline HelpDeskGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:02:53 PM »
Yes, it's going to be an IP routing issue.
Somewhere, either the Teleworker server or a router doesn't know how to reach the network where the phone exist.

Probably the easiest place to start is to try and ping the IP address of the phone from your desktop and then from your teleworker server and backtrack from there.

But here are some other questions:
Does your teleworker server have 2 active nics?
Does internal calls from your main office to the remote phone work ok?
Is the outside call coming in on a SIP trunk or on a PRI?

Ralph

Thank you so much for responding, please bear in mind I'm very busy today as my co worker is out sick, so it is just me driving the IT ship and I'm putting out some fires. I wish I knew how to use the server to perform a ping from it, but it appears I don't have the password. With the IT manager pulling an abrupt "I QUIT" I'm not sure who does :/ but I can probably find it somewhere.

To answer your questions:
It has only 1 active NIC.
Internal Calls from Here to Remote or Vice Versa work just fine. (Also calls made from remote to an outside line work fine)

"Is the outside call coming in on a SIP trunk or on a PRI?" Sorry going to have to show my VOIP Greenness here, I have no idea, however when I access the Mitell 3300 controller there are numerous areas that mention SIP trunking and here is a quote from an email I had with a support contact:

"I will include our documentation. We send only on UDP ports. Your SIP messaging will be sent on port 5060. Your RTP will be on which ever ports your system advertises for RTP. For specific settings within your phone system you may need to contact your vendor."

Thank you so much for reading.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »
Where is your Mitel Dealer in all this?

I'm thinking they will need to assist you in drilling down to the root cause.
They may have the password for your TW server and may be even able to resolve this remotely for you.

If they asked you to pull a wireshark sniff did they review it?   If yes, what did they say?

Ralph

Offline HelpDeskGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
Where is your Mitel Dealer in all this?

I'm thinking they will need to assist you in drilling down to the root cause.
They may have the password for your TW server and may be even able to resolve this remotely for you.

If they asked you to pull a wireshark sniff did they review it?   If yes, what did they say?

Ralph

You just asked the million dollar question. Bandwidth.com supposedly handles the numbers for the satellite location but says they aren't our vendor. I have a manual on top of the 3300 that has contact information for a company who insists they are no longer servicing us. We literally have no idea, only the IT manager would know and he didn't leave any notes.

The guys at bandwidth asked me to do the wireshark thing, but weren't very helpful with when I showed them the log. I have yet to send them a log where I isolated the traffic to one phone, because I just don't see anything useful in it.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
Bandwidth.com is a carrier.   That tells me you have SIP.
They don't service your PBX.

Who requested the Wireshark Trace?

You'll need to contact Mitel to find your VAR.
You should do this sooner than later so you have a working relationship with them.
They'll want to know about the management change.
You'll need to know support numbers, contacts and procedures.
God forbid something major happens before you figure out who to call.

If you can log into your PBX, go to the licensing section and look up your application record.
DO NOT POST THAT HERE.
Contact Mitel and find out who your vendor of record is.
They'll want to know the app record.
You can call Mitel here: 800-267-6244

What state are you in?

Ralph

Offline HelpDeskGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
Bandwidth.com is a carrier.   That tells me you have SIP.
They don't service your PBX.

Who requested the Wireshark Trace?

You'll need to contact Mitel to find your VAR.
You should do this sooner than later so you have a working relationship with them.
They'll want to know about the management change.
You'll need to know support numbers, contacts and procedures.
God forbid something major happens before you figure out who to call.

If you can log into your PBX, go to the licensing section and look up your application record.
DO NOT POST THAT HERE.
Contact Mitel and find out who your vendor of record is.
They'll want to know the app record.
You can call Mitel here: 800-267-6244

What state are you in?

Ralph

Bandwidth requested the wireshark trace, but didn't really do anything about it, they told me that from their end everything seems to be communicating fine.

Thank you for the number to Mitel, if you are saying I can call them and find out who manages the PBX that is fantastic.

I am in California, Silicon Valley.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
Thank you for the number to Mitel, if you are saying I can call them and find out who manages the PBX that is fantastic.

That's correct.   Each system is registered with Mitel as to who the dealer of record is.
You can call them and they will tell you who it is.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10