Author Topic: Linksys router to Mitel 5340 IP Phone Issue  (Read 4546 times)

Offline rizzilient

• View Profile
Linksys router to Mitel 5340 IP Phone Issue
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
I am trying to hook up a Mitel 5340 IP Phone to a linksys router and it's getting stuck in the discovery phase.  Other devices that I hook up to the same cable work fine.  I estimate the run to be about  100 feet.  If I shorten the run to 15 feet the phone works fine.  I can only attribute the issue to the length of the run being too long.  Any advice that allows me to leave the full run intact?  Could there be some other reason I'm over looking?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Linksys router to Mitel 5340 IP Phone Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:00:22 AM »
Your answer is a cabling issue, you proved it... Correctly functioning Linksys routers follow industry standards and will easily push 100 meters on a properly cabled and terminated good CAT5E cable run. Find a good cable tester (Fluke, Wavetek, or other REAL cable tester, not a cheap LAN or continuity tester) and have the run certified to make sure, there is no reason it shouldn't work at 100 feet, or 200, or even 300 feet perfectly!!! I also HIGHLY recommend NOT crimping RJ45 ends directly on the cable, terminate the cable properly with a quality jack (such as Panduit or Leviton) and the correct tools and use pre-terminated, molded patch cords, NEVER make your own patch cords, especially with voice and PoE devices. Any certified CAT5E cable should be fine, most are, even the Home Depot/Lowes stuff is although I question the quality control of the cable at times, we have had to repull more than one run because it was bad... now if was it the original installer or the cable itself that was the problem is unclear sometimes though. :)

One other possibility is your PoE injector is really weak or defective, is it on the router or phone end?

And although I wouldn't recommend it in production for just this reason, you could always put a cheap little 5-port 10/100 switch at the end of the cable run and plug the phone into that, it is essentially a "repeater" and will regenerate the signal, but then again if it is at 100 feet you are masking the problem, not fixing it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:05:51 AM by acejavelin »

Offline Crowtalks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:08:19 AM »
Also try defaulting the phone in tools menu in case it has gotten hosed for it should grab DHCP like any other computer...

I agree with acejavelin.

I shockingly discovered a couple of years ago while chasing a T1 issue, that ALL of mine and my coworkers self crimped ends failed the Wavetek with errors and NEXT test. Even if the end is terminated in a jack the twists need to continue up to the punch or lug connector to not create crosstalk. Since that time I don't use home-made cables for voice unless it is terminated on a jack, as acejavelin recommends.

Jim

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »
Not to mention the fact that any self terminated cable would negate any certification on the wiring. Field terminated cables (termination of RJ45 plugs not jacks of course) are a no no even if tested on a fluke if you want certification of your network.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
Ooooh, just rememered, I ran into a similar problem and it turned out someone had used patch cable for that run and the impedance was all wrong...computer appeared to work fine.

And finally, maybe, someone has used CCA cable instead of the propr stuff...will kill voice andPoE dead at those distances.......

Offline rizzilient

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
I do have a crimped connection (that I did) going into the router.  I'll try terminating at the that at a jack and using only pre-terminated patch cords, which i am using going into the phone itself (from the wall jack).  I've also got my hands on a 16 port 10/100 switch which I'll try as well.   Thanks for the advise so far (everyone).  I'll report back.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10