Author Topic: How to Cover another Extension?  (Read 4801 times)

Offline daryler

• Contributer
    • View Profile
How to Cover another Extension?
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »
I am trying to have my extension ring two other extensions at the same time when I get both an internal and external call.  (Similar to the Avaya system we had that allowed us to assign a button called Cover).  We first set the two covering extensions as Secondary Extensions, however that would only ring for outside calls and not internal calls.  Can Secondary Extensions be set to ring for Internal Calls?

Our second attempt of fixing this was to set a forward path to a hunt group that would ring all calls.  This works when you don't have the Dynamic Extension turned on for the phone.  However, I keep Dynamic Ext turned on in my phone so that when I change my UCA to twin, it will work. 

Any ideas?

We have the Mitel 5000 and use IP phones 5330.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to Cover another Extension?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
Daryler,

Secondary Extensions by default work for any type of call, Internal or External. I am not sure there really is a simple solution to the problem you are having, but the only reason I can think of that you wouldn't want to use a secondary extension is this.

If a call comes to the phone that is being monitored and you answer it with your cell phone lets say. Also, at the same time you answer with your cell phone both users try to answer the call as well. What they will get is each other as one rings the phone and the other answers it. The secondary extension feature is more of an executive secretary feature and is mostly intended for one person to have a secondary extension key of another person, but you can use it as you intend too.

Here is the information for how Secondary Extension is programmed for an extension.

Secondary Extension Key
Two fields are programmed for this type of button:

Selection: Select the primary phone that will be associated with this secondary extension button. The primary phone must be on the same node as the phone being programmed.

Ring When __ Calls At Extension: This field allows the phone to receive a burst of ringing when "n" number of calls is present at a primary phone, and at least one call is ringing or camped on. (That is, a setting of 2 will cause the phone to ring when the primary phone receives a third call, while two other calls are ringing.) The ring burst will repeat periodically as long as "n" number of calls is present at a primary phone. (This period is determined by the DKTS Secondary Extension Key Alerting Tone timer.) If this field is set to 0, the secondary phone will never receive the burst of ringing.

The only simple solution I can thing of off the top of my head it to put all [3] phones in a Hunt Group and then give out that number as your extension number. Alternately, you could just change your extension number and give the Hunt Group your old extension number. Also, make sure that everyone who has a DSS/BLF of your phone is change to the Hunt Group. This should work with your Dynamic Extension since it doesn't care how the call gets to the phone once it is turned on. The only thing to remember is to create a Call Routing Annoucement [CRA] that has no recordings set for day or night that will time out to your mailbox. Put that CRA in the recall of the Hunt Group and then set the Recall timer to 16 seconds, approximately 4 rings.

Hope that gives you some ideas and direction to go on

Offline daryler

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply.   I think if I could get the Secondary Extension to ring for Internal calls, that would solve everything.   What settings should I look at to make that work?  I go in and set the button to Secondary Extension and then select 1 on the Ring When.  It works when I call my DID number from my cell, it does not work when I call from another extension in the office. 

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
Daryler,

Sorry it took so long to reply I don't visit this site everyday unfortunately.

There are no more settings for the Secondary Extension other than what I explained earlier. It does work for Internal and External calls as long as the phone rings. The operative word here is "rings" so if you have the phones auto answer on Internal Calls or System Forward Immediate for Internal Calls then the phone does not ring and the Secondary Extension on the other phones will not ring.

Do you notice that the Key for the Secondary Extension lights up and stays solid. By the way Secondary Extension Keys work the exact same as a DSS/BLF key with the added functionality of an alert and the ability to answer by pressing the key without the reverse call pickup feature. So if you see it light up but not ring then that should tell you something as well.

Anyway, Just make sure the flags set for the phone being monitored does not have Hands Free Enabled, which by default in some versions it is. Our default template has Hands Free Off and Ring Intercom Always On. That way you don't have the problem with calls being answered and conversations listened into when they don't need to be.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10