Author Topic: Outgoing CallerID?  (Read 5486 times)

Offline JoeShmo

• View Profile
Outgoing CallerID?
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
What has to happen for outgoing caller ID to function properly?
We have a few T1s, and for our AT&T connection for example, the number always shows up as our main account number.  All of our internal lines are true DIDs, so we do have valid numbers to send out, provided we can actually do it.
I didn't think this was a restriction on T1 vs PRI, as I've seen incoming calls on T1s have the ANI reported properly..
And this is for North America/US by the way, if that makes a difference...

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Outgoing CallerID?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »
The carrier could be over riding what you're sending out.
I'd test first by going to maintenance commands and entering "ccs trace enable cont"
Then make an outbound phone call.  You should see a line that shows your caller ID.
If you see your main number then we'll have to walk you through something else.

To turn off the trace:  "ccs trace dis"

Ralph

Offline JoeShmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »
thats alot of info when you have about 1000 phones..  And since we're all IP phones now, cant limit it to a particular PLID.
So, I'm seeing ROX and RIX, which I'm guessing is real channel in and real channel out.  So we're interested in ROX;
09:14:58 ROX DPN PBX104 3 99 D** B** 22 SSRM_I
                    *58*CW*Ekxj@@@@BtCF_P#*58*C6*001#
09:14:58 ROX DPN PBX104 3 99 D** B** 27 SSRM_I
                    *58*CL*T*101*43*W1017191*B#*58*C4*4*1#
I still have a PerNode cabinet somewhere, so will stick a card in that and run myself a line to play with...
Any clues as to what I'm looking for, and some basics on decoding this?  Is there a doc somewehre?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »
Here's a doc that explains the CCS trace command.

Ralph

Offline JoeShmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
for internal calls, I'm seeing the names and numbers flying around, but not when I make a call out to the PSTN.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
I have tried many times with several carriers to setup outgoing Caller ID over T-1's, every carrier says they don't support it, it is a function of ISDN (PRI) only. The only time I have been able to get "caller ID" to pass across a T-1 is when two PBX's were networked that way, and it usually took some trickery to get that working as well, as in T-1 the information had to passed via DTMF in-band, so the far end had to know the string would be <ANI><DESTINATION>. It has been a few years since I tried this, I just gave up since no one does it anymore.

I have not seen a carrier allow this to be done for at least 10-12 years, and those required "special" T-1's and pricings, and I only saw one call center that did this, and it had T-1's directly into MCI's POP (so you know how old this was, when MCI was BIG).

Why not just upgrade to a PRI? the hardware is the same, and you get name as well as number coming in. Also, in many areas PRI circuits are cheaper than traditional T-1's... I know it shouldn't matter from a technical stance, but carriers just want to get rid of traditional T-1's since PRI's are so much easier to troubleshoot from sitting behind a desk.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:06:16 AM by acejavelin »

Offline JoeShmo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
Problem is that PRIs arnt available in my area.  We also have some legacy T1s to ATT which we have a sweet deal on.
I remember when I got T1s into my ISPback around 1996, they always had ANI on incoming calls, I thought it was kind of neat, considering they were NOT PRIs.  Its not something we even asked for, the info was just there.

The problem we're running into is if someone makes a 911 call, the 911 center has no idea where the call comes from other than our campus which has about 20 buildings.  And since we're all DIDs, the numbers CAN be mapped properly...  Did 911 not exist before PRIs?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 02:13:15 AM »
911 certainly did exist before PRI's, however ENHANCED 911 as we know it today did not... E911 Operation Centers would flag account like yours with a note or other comment stating the 911 operator needed to verify ALI and ANI (Location and contact number basically) manually with the caller to get room, building, department, or whatever was needed to respond to the emergency call... it was a huge problem for college and large business campuses, factories, etc.

There was a time when you could setup Outbound Caller ID on T-1's, it cost extra (significantly if I remember correctly) and it was very different than the standard used with PRI's today, and it was a nightmare to setup as it had to be done in ARS with digit manipulation based on extension number and had to be coordinated with the carrier for each T-1 installation and was essentially a custom job... You would send inband information digits with a call, one I did once had to be like this:

*[10 Digit T-1 Billing Number]*[10 Digit DID outbound CID number]*[10 digit destination number]# (or some terrible thing very similar)

EVERY call had to be that way, whether it was local, LD or whatever, and International calls were a nightmare as well. But every carrier was different and had to custom build it each time, and now carrier just don't do that anymore, T-1's for voice are a thing of the past and it just isn't worth their time to go through the headache.

Some carrier do still do Inbound ANI on T-1's, but many have done away with that as well.

The best thing I can tell you is contact the carrier and ask them if they can/do support outbound caller on this customers T-1 service, if they say they can then will likely specify the format you need to follow exactly, what the cost involved is, implementation period, cut-over times, etc. since if they can do it, it will likely require a re-provisioning of the entire circuit, or they will just say no.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10