Author Topic: Connecting 3300CXi's (IP trunks) over DSL. Can they do VPN tunnels?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Northeaster

• View Profile
Hi folks,

I haven't found it in the forms, but just wondered if the 3300CXi is capable of setting up a VPN tunnel to another 3300CXi, over DSL internet, with public static IPs at each end.

I ask because you can do this in the BCM50e, where the tunnel is created between the two e routers, which then allows one BCM to see / connect to the internal / private IP of the other BCM.

Of course, you could always buy a managed firewall / VPN service, that would do this, or buy a couple of VPN tunnel boxes, but I just wondered if the CXi has anything built in.

I was told that the docs mention somewhere that you can't do IP trunking over the WAN port! But, this seems strange as the WAN port just provides internet connectivity, (all in one box), instead of the customer having a separate router for internet access, then connecting to the CXi's LAN port, through a layer 2 switch.

If anyone could shed a bit of light on this, I would appreciate it!!

Offline chadmaynard

• View Profile
Re: Connecting 3300CXi's (IP trunks) over DSL. Can they do VPN tunnels?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
The CXI has the capability to set up a PPTP server for Remote Access, but it doesn't include the mechanism to do any sort of site to site VPN.

The docs probably say you can't IP trunk over the WAN port because they don't support IP trunking through a NAT environment. If you encapsulate the IP Trunking in a point to point tunnel the NAT becomes transparent and I've never heard them complain about such a setup.

Offline Northeaster

• View Profile
Re: Connecting 3300CXi's (IP trunks) over DSL. Can they do VPN tunnels?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:53:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply, and info!   So I guess that VPN boxes at each end would be the way to go.

I haven't done IP trunking (on the Mitel 3300) since being on the course 3 years ago.  Mostly do TDM trunking, and TDM or IP sets.

Reading through the docs on Ip / XNEt trunking, one part mentioned that the signalling could be domne through TDM channels, or via IP, but that the voice channel had to be TDM.  This was in respect to tying PBXs together.  I am familiar with TDM tie trunking, but was looking more for info specically on IP trunking, with the whole call going over the company's WAN, and not using fixed TDM links at all.  There didn't seem to be alot of info just on IP trunking - more XNET over TDM, etc. 
I'll have to keep reading.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10