Author Topic: MSI Package for MiTai  (Read 2739 times)

gomaze

MSI Package for MiTai
« on: November 19, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
I am wondering if there is an MSI Package for MiTai as we have the .exe for it but want to have a way to distribute it out through SCCM.

Thanks

Offline chadmaynard

• View Profile
Re: MSI Package for MiTai
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »
Build one. Just put the .exe in an .msi and write a wrapper to start the .exe installer.

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:30:04 PM »
  Fair enough on the surface Chad, but there is a bit more to it.  There are a bunch of utilities for creating MSI files, but I don't know of any free ones.  Not to say they don't exist.  How do you recommend getting started in doing this?

- Chak

Offline chadmaynard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
An MSI is just a way of packaging an executable installer. The job of the MSI is to prepare the installer for installation by providing the EXE arguments that the user would normally input manually. Tools like Resource Hacker (http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/) can be used to take installers apart, and to modify them, and to put them back together. There is also the Microsoft Installer SDK which would require you to do a bit of coding. There are, however, many freeware apps that allow you to build MSI installers. I haven't used any of them, since I usually write the installers myself, instead of trying to wrap some other EXE.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10