Author Topic: DNS or Options 43 settings for Unifi product  (Read 2054 times)

Offline sunnytechbequia

• Contributer
    • View Profile
DNS or Options 43 settings for Unifi product
« on: July 08, 2024, 06:56:20 PM »
Hi,
I really need some help with setting my dhcp option 43 in my Mitel mxe 3330 MiVoice Business 9.3.0.24.
I'm using a Unifi UDM Pro as a gateway and console for our network devices, and the Mitel is the dhcp server.
Of course because of a very bad timing (hurricane Berryl), it's very time critical.
I need to replace some switches, and I only have those Unifi US-48-500W on hand.
I'm not able to adopt them in the Unifi controller interface, because it needs the options 43 or DNS to be setup in the Mitel so it would know where to find the controller.
My Mitel 3300 dhcp server is on IP 172.20.224.3
Unifi gateway controller on IP 172.20.227.254
The switch I'm trying to adopt is on 172.20.227.11

It seems like the Vendor ID for Unifi is 0104, from what I've found online.
I'll copy and paste what are the instructions on Unifi website.

Thank you in advance for your help.

DHCP Option 43

This option leverages your DHCP server to inform your UniFi device of the location of the machine running the Network Application remotely. Those with a UniFi Gateway can easily accomplish this by entering the IP address of the remote Network Application in Option 43 Application Host Address field located in the Network Settings.

For those using a third-party gateway or DHCP server, we recommend consulting your manufacturer

DNS

You'll need to configure your DNS server to resolve unifi to your remote UniFi Network Application.

There are two methods of specifying the machine running the Network Application:

IP Address: http://ip-address:8080/inform
    Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN): http://FQDN:8080/inform

« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 07:14:46 PM by sunnytechbequia »

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: DNS or Options 43 settings for Unifi product
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 09:23:34 AM »
Ubiquiti uses option 43 internally, so you'll have to use Option 125 instead. However, the option string needs to be entered as Hex code, so you'll need to convert the usual ASCII string to hex, and then paste that into your option string.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 02:07:49 AM »
Could you try remote adoption methods?

SSH to switch and perform the following command
set-inform http://{unifi-controller}:8080/inform

or setup a DNS entry on the network to resolve unifi to the unifi controller IP.

Info here https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909754-Remote-Adoption-Layer-3

You've mentioned the Mitel, Unifi GW and Switch IP addresses but not the Unifi Controller IP.

I assume that beause the network devices and Mitel are on different networks/vlans that there could be ip helpers as well. You could set a different option 43 for each subnet.

Offline sunnytechbequia

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 03:22:28 PM »
Thank you for taking time and reply.
My DHCP is the Mitel 3300, so I need instructions in /server-manager to add the options 43 pointing to Unifi host controller, which already set as a gateway 172.20.227.254.
Or how to setup the dns entry in the mitel 3300 /server-manager, under "unifi" naming and pointing to http://172.20.227.254:8080/inform.
I've tried a few thing in server-manager options 6 DNS, selected host, but not able to insert more than the IP Address.
I've tried the SSH route, and it starts adopting, but then crash at getting ready in unifi controller.
From the logs, when the switch reboot after adoption, it expect the dhcp server to be the unifi controller, and because of the dns pointing to unifi, or no options 43 set to the controller, it cannot find it.
I could send a donation, to whoever knows Mitel 3300 and could help out.
I'm stuck.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 08:15:33 PM »
You cant use Option 43 on Ubiquiti, they use it and lock it out. Use option 125 instead.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 08:20:04 PM by lundah »

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 09:20:19 AM »
The Mitel is not a DNS server, option 6 is where you set the DNS server to use. Are you currently running an internal DNS Server? If it is a public DNS server like google etc... then you won't be able to manage it to add an entry.

Try adding a new DHCP option
- Use Vendor Option 43 vendor-specific.
- Name it something (e.g. unifi)
- Format Octect String (hex)
- Value = 0104ac14e3fe
- Vendor Class = ubnt

This is also another handy post. https://tcpip.wtf/en/unifi-l3-adoption-with-dhcp-option-43-on-pfsense-mikrotik-and-others.htm

@Lundah, I'm not sure I understand. I believe they are wanting to use the Mitel as a DHCP server for unifi devices, not use the unifi to provide DHCP for Mitel phones.

Offline sunnytechbequia

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 11:36:57 AM »
Correct, the mitel 3300 was set as the DHCP Server because the mitel tech couldn't be bothered to do it properly, on a /22 subnet, just crazy.
I'm on an island in the caribbean, the Mitel certified tech for the country is on an another island next door, and he's not being helpful even he would get paid.
He keeps telling the owner, to send me the local technician to get Mitel certified, quite ridiculous.
The hotel is closing this September, so I'll be using a Unifi uxg pro as the dhcp server with multiple vlan.
I might actually need some remote paid support to help me through it, if you any reputable person I could reach out ?

@sarond, I imagine I'd select "host" for option 43, not global.

I'm using public dns 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 indeed, so I guess no way

Thanks again, I'll try that today,

Offline sunnytechbequia

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 03:24:15 PM »
Unfortunately it's not working  :'(
The mitel says " Operation status report
Update successful. "
Not sure what else could I check.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 07:55:04 PM »
I would try global.

The vendor class identifier is set as "ubnt" so it should only respond to unifi/ubnt devices.

Is it possible to use the UXG Pro as the DNS server and add a local DNS entry into that?

Offline sunnytechbequia

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2024, 06:19:15 PM »
not successful.
It's driving me crazy.
I was able to adopt the unifi switches by disconnecting the Mitel 3300, and turning on dhcp server on the UDM Pro.
Then I revert back to Mitel 3300 as the dhcp server.
And it works only until the switches have to reboot.

Any service I could even pay to get remote help ?

Offline Dogbreath

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2024, 11:29:00 AM »
Surely you can just set-inform the Unifi devices and you're done? They then will not care about DNS entries or DHCP options [not certain about the latter - never used option 43 with Unifi].

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10