Author Topic: Isolating Jitter & Lag  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Robasaurus

• View Profile
Isolating Jitter & Lag
« on: March 14, 2018, 03:06:21 PM »
My employer sells a lot of Mitel's cloud products.  We occasionally have customers with teleworker phones that suffer sound quality issues because of excessive jitter and lag, which is often intermittent.

We have a program we can run at the customer's location that can determine how much jitter/lag/packet loss there is and log when it has occurred.  But it can't tell us where it's coming from and that's the problem.  We don't know if the source is in the customer's network or if it's the ISP.

So I'm wondering what software / services / methods others use to determine where the source of jitter or lag is located.

Thank you,

Rob

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Isolating Jitter & Lag
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »
My employer sells a lot of Mitel's cloud products.  We occasionally have customers with teleworker phones that suffer sound quality issues because of excessive jitter and lag, which is often intermittent.

We have a program we can run at the customer's location that can determine how much jitter/lag/packet loss there is and log when it has occurred.  But it can't tell us where it's coming from and that's the problem.  We don't know if the source is in the customer's network or if it's the ISP.

So I'm wondering what software / services / methods others use to determine where the source of jitter or lag is located.

Thank you,

Rob
Honestly, this is a tough one to troubleshoot without some kind of equipment onsite. We have made it our practice for several years now to install a switch and Meraki router for the voice VLAN, mostly just for monitoring purposes and bandwidth control, but it makes troubleshooting these kinds of issues much easier.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10