Author Topic: Eavesdropping through Mitel 6867i??  (Read 4546 times)

Offline sheila

• View Profile
Eavesdropping through Mitel 6867i??
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:48:22 AM »
Needing help. I have limited technical knowledge and must rely on staff to ensure everything is properly set up and maintained. There have been suspicions that the administrator over our VOIP system could be eavesdropping on conversations. Is there a way on the user's end to know if this is happening??  I know the option is there as we monitor our customer service agent calls.  My question is; can this employee monitor any phones within the company?  Are there signs one can see if this is the case?  Also, other than actual phone calls, can the speakerphones be activated remotely by the administrator in order to hear conversations within a particular office?  I'm looking for technical answers to help w/ my investigation of these allegations.  Thank you for any help you can give!

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Eavesdropping through Mitel 6867i??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
if this person is the MiVB admin, yes, they can set up silent monitoring for any phone.

but no, there's no way to monitor a phone that isn't in a call.

Mind you, the admin could set your phone up to auto-answer and call in and it's just be a speakerphone at that point.. The display would should you in a call but if no-one heard the answer tone or noticed the display, well...

You need to have trust in your admins, they have a lot of power.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:58:56 AM »
Actually... I take that back, just noticed you said 6867... so that sip and you didn't say what call control, I was assuming MiVB but if it isn't... I don't know the answer.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »
but I'm still correct about having admins you can trust.

:)

Offline sheila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
Thank you for responding so quickly.  I am in total agreement about having trust in our administrator, unfortunately, there have been issues recently that have caused me to question this trust.  I have another question.  When you say "auto answer", how does that work?  There are many times callers tell me they've called my phone has never rang and I've been sitting at my desk. Would that be an example of when that happens? Also, the display will randomly light up on the phone throughout the day even when it's not in use. But I do not see where there's an active call.
Are logs kept of when the administrator has monitored a particular phone?  That would probably answer all of our questions if there were.

Thank you again for your response.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:45:35 AM »
assuming this is an mx-one or A5000? I can't answer those questions. I'm sure there are admin logs but it really depends on the system you're using.

auto-answer is a feature of the 68xx phones where a special sip message is sent to the phone in the INVITE to tell the phone to answer the call...

There's also a call recording feature in those sets as well.

If folks are calling and it's not ringing, sounds like your phone isn't registered.

Phone lighting up as odd times also points in this direction though it could be those missed calls, maybe your ringer isn't working???

Is there anything on the display when this happens?

Offline sheila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »
I'll be honest, I really had not paid much attention. I'll usually notice it only when I'm typing and see the phone out of the corner of my eye, or if I happen to look over and see the display go from lit up to dark again and I haven't been on it in a while. Or it will light up after being dim and it has not been in use. It happens frequently. The missed calls also happen frequently. Countless times someone will call my cell and say they just tried to call me at work. I'm sitting right by the phone and there was no call. I'll immediately pick up the phone, make a call. I'll call it from my cell and it rings. No problems.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
somethings not right, time to call Mitel support.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10