Author Topic: Category A & D Phone licenses interchangeable?  (Read 4041 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Category A & D Phone licenses interchangeable?
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
So I was looking through our phones in "Get IP Device Status" and noticed several of our 5330/5340 devices are using Category A Phone licenses since all D licenses were used. Does this work both ways, meaning if you run out of A licenses will a 8662 set consume a D license if it is available?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Category A & D Phone licenses interchangeable?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
Acejavelin,

What version of software are you on?

I was under the understanding that Category A are for Inter-Tel Protocol [ITP] phones and Category D are for MiNet phones, but I seem to recall that there was some crossover at certain versions; although I didn't think it was between A and D licenses.

If I had to make a guess I would say that the 8662 phones would not take a Category D, but that is wholly a guess on my part as I never had Category A and D licenses on the same system before.

Sorry,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
Acejavelin,

What version of software are you on?

I was under the understanding that Category A are for Inter-Tel Protocol [ITP] phones and Category D are for MiNet phones, but I seem to recall that there was some crossover at certain versions; although I didn't think it was between A and D licenses.

If I had to make a guess I would say that the 8662 phones would not take a Category D, but that is wholly a guess on my part as I never had Category A and D licenses on the same system before.

Sorry,
TE
In the system in question it's 6.1, but I have seen it in 6.2 systems as well.

Many of our systems have been upgraded multiple times, I have several with A and D licenses on it, just happened to notice this today. I have had other techs tell me they have seen similar things regarding A&D licenses that they can't explain, was just curious if there was an official word on it or not, but I can verify a 5330 will absolutely use an A license if no D's are available and A's are.

Offline pexecutone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
We always use an A to D converter license. I've been told there is no cost for that license, but I don't do the ordering.

Offline TheQueen

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
In my experience, yes, the A & D licenses are interchangeable. Had a customer who had plenty of A licenses for the 86XX series phones. When those phones died and were replaced with 53XX phones, there was no need to purchase a D license; the system recognized there were available IP licenses (in this instance, A licenses) and used them.

Offline jmarcwsp1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
Would this affect the keymaps?  I never heard of using Mitel 53xx on CAT A licenses...are there any limitations?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:50 PM »
Would this affect the keymaps?  I never heard of using Mitel 53xx on CAT A licenses...are there any limitations?
I don't see how this would have any effect on the phone itself or how it is programmed...

Are there limitations? Yeah... I would image so, this is an undocumented "feature" as best we can tell anyway. So it could be a bug that will be fixed in a future release although I find that highly unlikely. Most likely it is there to allow customers to easily migrate form older 86XX sets to 53XX (and soon 69XX) sets.

Offline darrel

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »
The CAT A license (part # 840.0226) is used for 8662 IP phones. CAT C (part # 840.0415) is for 8660 IP phones. According to Sales Engineering they are not interchangeable with CAT D licenses. Maybe through an AXXESS upgrade they could be converted.

Future reference   

Offline jmarcwsp1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »
CAT C is also for 770.4500/4600 and IP SLA.  Obviously Sales Engineering will deny A and D licenses are interchangeable.  They want to sell more licenses.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10