Author Topic: I actually want the remote side to hear background noise.  (Read 1378 times)

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
I actually want the remote side to hear background noise.
« on: March 08, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
So, a little backstory first.  I work for an auction company.  When we are having an auction, we have an agent call into a call center for the online bidding portion. The remote party on the phone actually listens through the handset/headset of our agent to hear the auctioneer in the background calling out bids.  Personally, I think this is a crazy practice, and can't see how it can work very well, but somehow it does. 

The issue however, is noise cancellation technology being what it is, the background "noise" (the auctioneer calling bids) is becoming harder for the remote party to hear.

We currently use a 5340e phone base set with an attached GN Netcom 2110 wired mono headset.

Is there any setting in the phone system (MiVoice 250 6.2) or the phone itself, to DISABLE background Noise cancellation?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I actually want the remote side to hear background noise.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »
dhumes0524,

I am not sure what Codec you use for voice, hopefully G.711. If that is the case try changing the Echo Cancellation on the phone in question from the default of 3 to 1 and see if that helps with the issue.

Thanks,

TE

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:20:10 AM »
How about a speaker phone placed near the auctioneer, conferenced into the call?

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
If you'd like, you can try splicing into the cable between headset and phone.  I'd maybe cut the cable and attach a biscuit jack.  Then splice into the outside yellow/black pair.  Attach a microphone from a spare handset to this cable and position as desired, maybe even a microphone and amplifier if needed..  I've never done exactly this, but did something similar years back to allow me to import recordings to the system.  If you try it let us know what happens.

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
dhumes0524,

I am not sure what Codec you use for voice, hopefully G.711. If that is the case try changing the Echo Cancellation on the phone in question from the default of 3 to 1 and see if that helps with the issue.

Thanks,

TE

Sorry for the delay in response, I didn't realize I wasn't subscribed to replies on this post.

Where on the phone would I go about changing this setting?  Also, forgive my ignorance, as I am fairly new to the system, but where in Database Programming would be the best place to check what codec we are using?

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
How about a speaker phone placed near the auctioneer, conferenced into the call?

I hadn't thought about this, but we don't want any audio coming out of the speaker phone.  As long as I could take the volume down to 0, this could be a possibility.  I had only been thinking about a way to add another input mic to our existing 5340, not actually adding another phone...but I will consider this.

Offline dhumes0524

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »
If you'd like, you can try splicing into the cable between headset and phone.  I'd maybe cut the cable and attach a biscuit jack.  Then splice into the outside yellow/black pair.  Attach a microphone from a spare handset to this cable and position as desired, maybe even a microphone and amplifier if needed..  I've never done exactly this, but did something similar years back to allow me to import recordings to the system.  If you try it let us know what happens.

This is behind my comfort level...I have seen splitter headset smart cables before that allow connecting two headsets...but I know our auctioneer won't want to wear another headset because they are already wearing one for the PA system used in the building.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »
dhumes0524,

They also make a splitter to allow for two handsets to be used at the same time as well for the same purpose as the headset splitter.

If they are already wearing a mic that goes to the PA then you just need to get a connection to that system for your mic interface.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10