Author Topic: 2 different MiCollab apps. What one is better?  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2 different MiCollab apps. What one is better?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 01:36:56 AM »
unclejemima,

No problem and I wouldn't expect you to be knowledgeable about all of this as I am sure your job isn't installing and supporting Mitel equipment so no worries.

The MiCollab Client is actually what was formally known as UCA (Unified Communications Advanced) and it had a desktop client version and a mobile client version both with a softphone add-on. It seems that you were only using the mobile version with the softphone and probably not the presence management portion; although it is still there.

As for Phone Manager it has the same two options of a desktop client and a mobile client both with a softphone add-on and obviously the presence management as well. The UCA and Phone Manager applications work completely differently, but they do the same things. So as you have probably figured out Mitel is throwing its support behind Phone Manager for the 5000/250 and MiCollab Client for all the other systems.

It sounds as though the application and possibly the phones settings are not properly setup on the phones you are using. The presence management portion can have a big effect on it as well. As to what the real problem is I couldn't say without looking at them myself. Your best bet is to get your vendor tech support or engineer to look at it for you to figure out what is wrong.

Personally, if the phone system is doing everything you need it to do for the remainder of your staff then I would look into getting the MiCollab swapped out to Phone Manager. Phone Manager has a lot of nice new features as of version 5.0, and it looks as though they are going to put a lot more into it. The product actually belongs to a company called Xarios, but Mitel has also had them take over a few other applications such as Customer Service Manager and I believe Oaisys Recording as well, and they are integrating them into the Phone Manager; the latter one I may be wrong about though. My company has just started supporting the product and from what I can see it is going to be a great product to enhance the 5000/250 for all of our customers; I personally like it better than the MiCollab server, but that is just me. At this point I believe my company is only going to sell the MiCollab to 5000/250 customers if they want the AWVC (Audio Web Video Conference) portion; which was originally designed by Inter-Tel who made the 5000/250. There is also the Mitel Border Gateway (MBG) that we use it for but we don't call it a MiCollab at that point even though it is the same server; semantics really.

Hopefully that answered your questions,

TE

Offline unclejemima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
Thanks Tech Electronics.  Really appreciate your replies.

Does the Phone Manager have a Border Gateway so the softphone's can be used outside the office?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
unclejemima,

No the Phone Manager doesn't have a Border Gateway built into it. The Mitel Border Gateway should always be a separate server than an application server even if it is a MiCollab. The good thing is if you wanted a MBG you already have the server in the MiCollab so all you would need to do is get it licensed for it.

Also, you don't really need the Mitel Border Gateway with the Phone Manager and the 5000/250 except for another layer of security or to circumvent the Firewall/Router if it won't support SIP properly.

Thanks,

TE

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 09:05:35 AM »
The simplest, cheapest and best answer to this issue.

Swap MiCollab for Mitel Phone Manager.

Phone Manager can be a Softphone on a PC, Android or IOS phone.

The new V5 Server will also do you reporting and Call Recording (Call recording is a it of a kludge though, go for a standalone if you are talking more then 8 trunks)

Offline unclejemima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 12:26:51 PM »
Thanks guys.

Do you guys have anything official stating that mitel has discontinued or dropped support for the MiCollab and the Mivo250?

I tried to find the docs PB 20160177 & PB 20160159 but was unable to find them. I want to make sure when I talk to the mitel dealer that I'm well informed.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
unclejemima,

I am on vacation this week so I don't have access to my laptop with that information on it right now.

Your Mitel dealer should be well aware of the issue with the MiCollab Client portion of the MiCollab server.

Just keep in mind that the MiCollab server itself is still supported, but the MiCollab Client is no longer supported.

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:47 PM »
Thanks guys.

Do you guys have anything official stating that mitel has discontinued or dropped support for the MiCollab and the Mivo250?

I tried to find the docs PB 20160177 & PB 20160159 but was unable to find them. I want to make sure when I talk to the mitel dealer that I'm well informed.
Go to the 5th post in this thread (on page 1 of the thread) and they are attached to my post, you can download them there.

Offline unclejemima

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 07:13:40 PM »
Fantastic!  Thank you!!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10