Author Topic: SMTP RELAY issues & hit a brick wall  (Read 4574 times)

Offline rhys.ci.hughes

• View Profile
SMTP RELAY issues & hit a brick wall
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
Hello all, I hope you are all well. Just trying to get some support to setup a relay SMTP server. The reason is I want to setup voicemail to email from my Mitel MN3300 CXi.

Now this needs to be a relay as the system doesn't give the option to add authentication, just an email address the .wav file gets sent to. I have win2008 R2 with IIS6.

Which is the best mail provider to use? (Gmail, yahoo,etc) At the mo I am trying g-mail. Do I need FQDN with say Go Daddy as mine is just a local DN. I have followed many guides to program the SMTP like the access settings, etc
http://www.vsysad.com/2014/01/config...ward-messages/

Just can't get it working and its doing my head in. Can any recommend a free email relay app or some advice please. I have stopped getting error messages in the logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SMTP RELAY issues & hit a brick wall
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:58:43 PM »
When you follow the guide did you allow the IP address of the 3300 as allowed in the relay?

Also your link was truncated. I assume it is the below.
http://www.vsysad.com/2014/01/configure-iis-smtp-server-to-use-gmail-to-forward-messages/

Are you already using your 2008 server as an email/exchange server?

I normally use hMailServer as an easy solution for Windows.

Offline rhys.ci.hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 02:44:06 AM »
Hello Sarond and thank you for your reply. I have added the IP address and the DNS name into the access section of the 3300. We are not using the server as a email server, ideally just for this.

Never heard of hMailServer, is it simple to use? Any available setup guides for server 2008 R2?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 04:12:47 AM »
hMailServer is fairly intuitive.

I'm not sure of any guides but it is quite easy to setup from memory.

Offline petr.necas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
This setup works for our customer who is using office365.com, I hope it will help you:

1) In hMailServer, In Settings --> Protocol --> SMTP --> Delivery of e-mail tab --> SMTP Relayer
Remote host name: smtp.office365.com
Check "Server requires authentification" and enter username and password
Connection Security: STARTTLS (Optional)
2) In Settings --> Advanced --> IP Ranges add an IP address of the ICP 3300 (in Lower IP and Upper IP)
Check "Allow connection SMTP", uncheck POP3 and IMAP
Check the required options under "Allow deliveries from" (I have all unchecked but be aware that it can be abused by spammers)
Uncheck the options under "Require SMTP authentication" (the ICP 3300 will not provide SMTP user and password)
3) Also make sure hMailServer service is under exceptions in the windows firewall
4) In ICP 3300, under System Options enter the IP address of the hMailServer PC to the "Email Server" field, also specify the sender's e-mail address in "Email - Sender's Address"
5) In hMailServer use Status --> Logging watch the SMTP activity

Offline rhys.ci.hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 01:13:34 PM »
Thank you for all your help. I have checked the logs and it says something else is using port 25. I have removed the MS IIS6 options.

How can you tell you have telnetted into the hMailServer on port 25? Does it show a certain model / version number. Was think of rebuilding the server as it's had all sorts on it over the years

Offline petr.necas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 03:21:10 AM »
How can you tell you have telnetted into the hMailServer on port 25? Does it show a certain model / version number.

In hMailServer open Settings --> Protocols --> SMTP and on General tab set the Welcome message. Then when you connect via Telnet (select port 25, Connection Type = Raw) you will see the "220 <welcome message>".

Offline rhys.ci.hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 01:33:48 PM »
So I can now see the logs on the hMailServer app. I have another service listening in port 25. I have stopped that but get an error message now.

This is my setup but get a 550 error

Offline petr.necas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »
Try to enable some of the options on the 1st screenshot under Allow deliveries from...

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 04:43:46 PM »
The "Allow Deliveries From..." are unticked by default to ensure you can't get used as an open relay.

Be careful with this - make absolutely sure that this service is not exposed to the internet, otherwise you could find your entire domain blacklisted for sending email.

A better approach might be to make sure that the sender domain matches the domain the system is actually in as well as the internal users' email domain.

Offline rhys.ci.hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 04:33:35 AM »
Thank you for your reply and with your advice I am slowly getting further with this now. we seem to be getting a handshake error now. I have tried to play around with the setting and change the port to 465 instead of 587 but when i did the diagontics failed. I have allowed deliveries on the Mitel

I have added some more screen shots of the logs and setup. Can you use this to maybe host a local mail server and then maybe add the accts to my outlook application?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 05:00:04 AM »
Can you try without using a relay?
hMail is a full SMTP server so it doesn't need a relay, it can send emails direct as long as the firewall doesn't block it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10