Author Topic: VLAN Changes when upgrading  (Read 5572 times)

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
VLAN Changes when upgrading
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
Has anyone seen that when upgrading a 3300 to 9.0.x that the VLAN tagging seems to change making the system unreachable?
I know now how to fix it just took talking to someone else who knew the command.

Ralph

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:12:51 AM by ralph »

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: VLAN Changes when upgrading
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
Are you talking about the VLAN field in the system IP config form?

The only way I have seen this one change is if someone manually changes it.

Then you must run the VLAN_OFF command from the RTC to be able to access the controller again.

Where you doing an upgrade or a new install?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »
This was a new install.   Didn't know about the VLAN_off command.   
Redoing the network tomorrow night.

Ralph
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:12:34 AM by ralph »

Offline tag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:59:45 AM »
I got this prob. but not like this ...i changed it from system  & i could not log to the sysytem so i chaged it from maintenanace port.
it works with that...........

Offline chadmaynard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
I'm confused. Are you trying to use the 3300 on a trunk port or and access port? If you are using a trunk port and the native vlan isn't the phone vlan then you should fill out the dot1q fields in the 3300. If you are plugged into an access port you should leave the dot1q fields default, because the switch doesn't want to see tagged packets on that interface. If you do tag them you'll probably just violate the MTU settings on the network and have a lot of packets dropped. The VLAN_OFF command defaults the dot1q settings on the 3300 so that it can be plugged into an access port. This is how we generally set things up but it isn't necessarily right. If you don't like to create access ports the dot1q settings in the 3300 would make it easier from the network switch point of view. On the other hand, if you remove the 3300 from the network switch and try to plug back in you won't be able to talk to the 3300 without doing encapsulation on your computer.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:13:50 AM »
Sorry for the confusion.  The question actually stemmed from an issue we had where one of our techs upgraded a system and it wouldn't work until the vlan_off command was issued.  I was trying to see if that may be related to an issue I had with another 3300 where the tech couldn't get it to work if the Cisco was in access mode.
Found the problem there.  There was BDBU security applied on the Cisco.  If the Cisco wasn't in trunk mode and it saw the 3300 connected, it just shut off the port.

Thanks.
Ralph

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:12:16 AM by ralph »

Offline RW3300

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
Hi Ralph

I had this exact same problem today and nearly went mad trying to figure it out.

The thing I still cant figure out is that my laptop was plugged directly into the Mxe via the LAN port (set to untagged) during the upgrade. Once upgraded I couldn't connect until the vlan_off command was issued?

Now the phones all work on the voice vlan which is great but you can no longer ping or connect to the Mitel from the Data network which was routable prior to the upgrade. They are using a cisco switch (not sure if port it trunk or access, data vlan 192.168.26.0/24 voice 192.168.30.0/24.

Any ideas?

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:04:09 AM »
  Interesting guys - BDPU's are involved in spanning tree - to prevent layer 2 network loops.  I'm not sure what the "vlan off"  on the Mitel does.  Typically from the Cisco side, the Mitel should be on an access vlan.

Are these CXi type controllers?  Once again I'd love to see this issue and figure out what was going on....

-Chak

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:31:49 AM »
RW3300,
If your phones are up then that should mean your data switch port is connected.
Now you'll need to see where your routing between your voice and vlans are taking place then be sure the default gateway is correct for the phones.

Ralph
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:13:16 AM by ralph »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10