Author Topic: Swapping 3300's  (Read 2801 times)

Offline ucx

• View Profile
Swapping 3300's
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »
A customer had an issue last week with his CXi controller - from all accounts it sounded like a major hardware issue (and was - the POE switch had crapped itself on some of the ports). Because his office is an hour drive away, I took my demo CXi unit out with me.
I removed the I-Button and the hard drive from me demo unit (which had MCD4.2 installed on it) and replaced it with the I-Button and hard drive from his unit (running MCD 3.9) and booted up. The system came up into MCD 3.9, but had no users or trunks or anything programmed because it said the license was not installed. When I tried to get it to sync with the AMC to get the correct information, it failed - even if I tried doing it via the offline method.

From what I've been told (on the MCD Basic and Advanced courses), a system is identified by the I-button, which carries the hardware ID. What did I do wrong to have it come up saying the license is incorrect and not show any users or trunks or settings? I figured that, by replacing the hard disk as well, it should have brought all the old programming across without hassles.

(When the demo system was booting up with the customer I-Button and hard drive installed, I plugged into it via serial cable and saw that it was getting the IP address from how I had my demo system configured in the lab - this carried over even to when it had booted up correctly - I had to access it via an IP address that was completely different to the customers network)

I have the customer up and running now, but I have no idea what I did wrong, or forgot. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Swapping 3300's
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:40:27 AM »
I can understand the IP address issue.   The IP address is stored in CMOS and not the HD.
But I can't understand about the ibutton.    We've done this exact type of platform exchange several times.
That's how we do it.   Swap the iButton and the HD, boot the system and set the IP.   
Shouldn't even have to resync with the AMC.
Are you sure that the system ID was correct?

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:25:08 PM by ralph »

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »
I'm with Ralph on this one.

Offline ucx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »
I wrote down the hardware ID from the original system before I shut it down, and it matched what was showing in the new controller on the blank license and option selection screen. I even had a look at the I-button itself (you can sort of see the hardware ID punched into the surface if you hold it at a certain angle) and it was the same.

Weird :(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10