Author Topic: 3300 + MBG - Resiliency for MBG?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline orion3311

• Contributer
    • View Profile
3300 + MBG - Resiliency for MBG?
« on: June 10, 2015, 07:39:57 PM »
Hey guys - lurker here that forgot I registered a while back. Anywhoo - I'm curious to know if the MBG can be configured with multiple WAN routes/nics?

Long story short, we have a Level3 fiber connection (primary) and a Comcast cable connection. I'd like to set up the MBG to fall back to the Comcast connection if the Level3 goes down. This is a vMBG running on Vmware. I toyed around with the NIC config,and it seems you can only "bond" more than one WAN nic, not set them up as a failover. Is this correct? Any way to do this (short of running a second vMBG?)

...and if thats the case, is it possible to run a second instance of the vMBG or does that require more licen$ing?

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3300 + MBG - Resiliency for MBG?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:58:31 PM »
An MBG (physical or virtual) can only be linked to a single WAN interface. So it would require a second vMBG in your case. Yes there would be a cost to the base license, but the base isn't too badly priced.

You'd then want to set the two vMBG's up in a cluster, so as to establish the primary and the secondary. (Once in the cluster, the individual phone and trunk licenses get shared, so no need for a second set of trunk/phone MBG licenses.)

Offline orion3311

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »
Sweet - thank you for the quick reply!

Offline orion3311

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 05:28:25 PM »
FYI - I ordered a second base license. Your right it wasn't too bad. I'll clone the existing and create a cluster.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »
I hope you are meaning cloning the basic setup of icp's etal

Offline orion3311

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:58:41 PM »
I meant the MBG. After some this and that with the carrier, everything is finally up and running with each MBG dedicated to a connection and both inbound and outbound failover. Sweet!

Offline welshy67

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 04:17:57 AM »
Hi orion, I'm curious to know have you tested your primary WAN link failure? I ask because we have and it doesn't work as expected. See my thread here:

http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=7306.0

We sent wireshark data and Mitel have gone quiet on this and last we heard it's a design issue in that the MBG does not actually inform 3300/MCD that the link is down. It might detect it's own NIC failure (can't replicate that) but our WAN interface on MBG is connected to a Cisco edge device and when we switch off the interface on the Cisco switch (to simulate a failure with that device or the WAN link), all calls still try to use that link. Shtting down the LAN link is fine because MBG & MCD are peers.

Be nice to know if it works for you, what is different with your version of MBG?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10