Author Topic: 5200 installed  (Read 3656 times)

Offline StarLog

• Contributer
    • View Profile
5200 installed
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »
Glad to find this forum, my dealer has installed a 5200 this week, and we are to cutover on the 19th.

Had a big problem with this box and DHCP, as I have a dhcp server that has 4 scopes, each in a different vlan.
The option 43 was setup correctly, and what was happening;
vlan-1 was client pc
vlan-99 was mitel endpoints

If I had the endpoint setup and connected, it would not get a ip, just stay at dhcp discovery.
If I made the port where vlan 99 was the only vlan active it worked great, but the end-users pc was not active now on the
correct vlan.

SOooo, I took my dhcp server, and statically setup a ip on one of the extra NICs, like 192.168.99.250
then every time a endpoint wanted an ip, it worked just fine.

I am looking forward to testing with remote phones in our other offices.

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
Re: 5200 installed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:49:29 AM »
   I think I know why this didn't work like you thought it would.  Was the switchport your DHCP server on tagged with the voice vlan? 

What happens is this:

- phone requests and address - tagging the packet for the voice VLAN.
 - Layer 3 device picks up the request and using a helper forwards the packet untagged to the DHCP server
 - The DHCP server is not aware of tags - thus see's both requests.  ACK's one, NAK's the other.  Everyone get's confused.

Anyway, with Windows DHCP servers this always happens.  The fix is just to remove the voice VLAN from the port feeding the server...

-Chak

Offline StarLog

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: 5200 installed
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
That is the process, I ended up setting one of the spare NIC's in the DHCP server to the proper
IP for the Mitel segment, and then all worked fine, I will try your suggestion as soon as I get
the system stable, working on the email notfication, and the phones at home calling the 5K

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10