Author Topic: 1 User 2 locations, how to setup phone?  (Read 6393 times)

Offline dan231

• View Profile
1 User 2 locations, how to setup phone?
« on: October 31, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »
CEO wants to have 2 offices in 2 different buildings.

Q1: How to program his phone so that the Fwd All button automatically goes to his other phone?  Can I hard code the destination?

Q2: Is it possible to link 1 mailbox to both phones?  No matter which phone you call all messages go to 1 mailbox and no matter where he is, he is accessing that 1 mailbox?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Offline dan231

• View Profile
Re: 1 User 2 locations, how to setup phone?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »
- EDIT -

Would it be easier to just mimic his phone at the 2nd office?
Same extension, same DID, same mailbox?
so, when someone calls, both phones ring.

Is that even possible?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
Dan231,

Q1: this would be easier to do with Dynamic Extension Express (DEE), but yes you could use a Forward All Calls Scenario or better yet creat a Hunt Group. Also yes you can "hardcode" the destination by creating a station speed dial using the FAC for FWD All Calls and the extension of the other phone. You could also do a Secondary Extension Key on the phone that would be the least used of the phone that would be their primary. The best solution though really depends on how they get their calls and whether or not they are currently using DEE.

Q2:Not exactly, but you can emulate the function, but it will only notify one of the two desk phones. I would suggest using Unified Messaging to notify them. The good thing is that they can access their mailbox from any phone on the system by using the extension for Voice Mail and then press * to tell it you are a subscriber.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:43:32 AM »
Thanks, but the problem is this is our CEO and he won't like anything not super easy.

Did you see my edit?  IS it possible to mimic the 2 phones at all?  I'm trying to find the simplest solution, for him and me.

Offline Hershel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
Wouldn't hotdesking but ideal for this?

I have three different offices and use a single extension & voice mail for all of them.  I simple login to whichever office I happen to be using.

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »

I have three different offices and use a single extension & voice mail for all of them.  I simple login to whichever office I happen to be using.

This sounds promising.  What does "Note that in this initial release, Hot Desking does not work across multiple nodes" mean?  The 2 phone sin questions are in different branches with different controllers.

Also, where do I verify if I have a license for this?

Offline Hershel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »

This sounds promising.  What does "Note that in this initial release, Hot Desking does not work across multiple nodes" mean?  The 2 phone sin questions are in different branches with different controllers.

To verify licensing launch DB programming, in the left side pane select Software License... right side pane you will see "Hot Desking" = Yes/No

As for multiple node support, I do not believe this has been released yet.  In my case all three phones are programmed and connected to a single controller.  One is the setup as a local phone and the other two are setup as remote phones. 

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:48:24 AM »

To verify licensing launch DB programming, in the left side pane select Software License... right side pane you will see "Hot Desking" = Yes/No

As for multiple node support, I do not believe this has been released yet.  In my case all three phones are programmed and connected to a single controller.  One is the setup as a local phone and the other two are setup as remote phones.

How do you set up the passcode and local and remote options?
I only have read that the flag has to be set and nothing else.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »
Dan231,

I didn't mention this as an option as it is not supported across nodes, but I will answer you questions on it.

The "Passcode" is the extension number of the Hotdesk User. Their actual phone would have a completely different extension when the user is logged out. When they press the Hotdesking button and out in their extension it comes up as that user.

As for the Local and Remote it is referring to the IP Connection of the phone. What Hershel has is a single node, 1 Mitel 5000, that his Hotdesk Extension is setup on and one of their phones is on the same network as the phone system. The other two phones are at remote locations and have to be set up as remote phones and therefore use the Remote IP Connection, which most likely uses the G.729 Codec instead of the G.711 Codec.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Hershel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
Dan231,

I didn't mention this as an option as it is not supported across nodes, but I will answer you questions on it.

The "Passcode" is the extension number of the Hotdesk User. Their actual phone would have a completely different extension when the user is logged out. When they press the Hotdesking button and out in their extension it comes up as that user.

As for the Local and Remote it is referring to the IP Connection of the phone. What Hershel has is a single node, 1 Mitel 5000, that his Hotdesk Extension is setup on and one of their phones is on the same network as the phone system. The other two phones are at remote locations and have to be set up as remote phones and therefore use the Remote IP Connection, which most likely uses the G.729 Codec instead of the G.711 Codec.

Thanks,

TE

Just to add on as a possible clarification.  Both my remote phones are located at offices that have a local Mitel 5000 but in each case "my" phones do not connect locally through the LAN but instead use the WAN connection to connect back to my primary office.  This is obviously a work around and one that I setup as I previously enjoyed the benefits of true clustering on MCD and wanted to continue the benefits.

IMO if you goal is to make things easy for your CEO this is one possibility since  the user doesn't have to know that their phones are actually registered to a different office's phone system. Although there are some dialing related things to consider too such as 911 and long distance.

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »
I figured out how to properly setup the hot desking feature and  tested the 2 phones at the different locations and it does not work across 2 controllers (as was stated).
We have a point-to-point connection here, so the WAN is out (but a good idea).

After a brief discussion on this with the CEO, he seems fine just to have his phone forwarded (for now ;) )

Offline Hershel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 10:13:05 AM »
Has anyone heard when, or if, Mitel is going to release cross node hotdesking?

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »
Has anyone heard when, or if, Mitel is going to release cross node hotdesking?

Is there anyway to do this now?
I now have 2 people who this would be beneficial for.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
Hot desking still not supported across nodes. I either twin the phones or license them to the same controller. Either is invisible to the end user.

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 03:57:14 AM »
I this situation I would either:

Attach both phones to the same Node, so Phone A is in location A connected to node A, Phone B would be in location B connected to Node A. In this set up you could use Hotdesking as both phones would be on the same Node.

Requires button pushing by the CEO

If no one else uses the phones whilst the CEO is at the other site, use a Hunt Group. Stick both CEO phones into the hunt group and publish the Hunt Group Number as the CEO Extn number. Point his DDI at the Hunt Group and use a CRA pointing to his Mailbox as the Recall Destination. Use DEE (or Mitel Phone Manager) to get both phones fashing for VMs

Requires NO button pushing by the CEO

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10