Author Topic: Resiliency Question  (Read 4953 times)

denis

Resiliency Question
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »
Hi,
Mitel newbie here. Our company has decided to go with Mitel and currently in the process of getting a VOIP infrastructure set up by a third party vendor.
A few questions:
1) Is it possible to download 3300 ICP, Ops Manager, Enterprise manager and 300 resiliency configuration guides from the Mitel website. It seems that you have to work for a vendor in order to get any technical documentation?
2) My other query is about resiliency.
We have two controllers which are in a cluster together with Ops manager and Enterprise manager . One of the controllers (primary) is in vlan 10 and the other is in vlan 11 (secondary).  During testing, when we are running in resilient mode, none of the IP phones seem to be able to get an IP Address when they are connected to  the network. This seems logical to me since all the IP phone are connected to either Linksys or Cisco PoE switches and all the ports are in Voice Vlan 10. therefore, when a phone starts up, it broadcasts a DHCP request out to Vlan 10, and since in resilient mode, the secondary controller would provide th IP for a phone, and since the secondary controller is in vlan 11, none of the phones would get an IP Address because vlan 11 will not receive DHCP broadcasts sent out on vlan 10. This is only a problem for phones which are reset or connected to the network when we are in resilient mode. Phones which were up and running when the switchover to the 2nd controller happens, continue to work fine.
The guys who are setting the whole thing up  seem convinced that our current setup will work. So my question is, will it? And if so, how? What I want to know is how will a new IP phone or a phone which is plugged in  when we are in resilient mode get an IP address from the secondary controller which is in another vlan (11) compared to the  IP phones (vlan 10).

Hope this makes sense.

Denis

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
Re: Resiliency Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:25:09 AM »
  Typically, in a setup like that you would split the DHCP scopes across 2 DHCP servers - sometimes we use the 3300 controllers, sometimes other DHCP servers.  Then you set up DHCP helpers on both VLANs forwarding to the other DHCP server.  This will allow everything to continue to work in a fail-over situation.

You can get to much of the documentation via http://edocs.mitel.com/default.htm   There is a Mitel users group that I think you can join to get access to them - I'm not sure of the requirements to join.  You should be able to find out more here :  http://www.mitel.com/DocController?documentId=10165

-Chak

denis

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
  Typically, in a setup like that you would split the DHCP scopes across 2 DHCP servers - sometimes we use the 3300 controllers, sometimes other DHCP servers.  Then you set up DHCP helpers on both VLANs forwarding to the other DHCP server.  This will allow everything to continue to work in a fail-over situation.

You can get to much of the documentation via http://edocs.mitel.com/default.htm   There is a Mitel users group that I think you can join to get access to them - I'm not sure of the requirements to join.  You should be able to find out more here :  http://www.mitel.com/DocController?documentId=10165

-Chak

Can anyone upload the 3300 technical guides? I think access to Mitel doumentation is limited to only people who work for a reseller.

Thanks

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »
A good bit of  the tech info is embedded in the help on the 3300. It will tell you how to program almost everything.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10