Author Topic: Mitel ARS - Routing calls to an extension  (Read 9637 times)

gdf1903

Mitel ARS - Routing calls to an extension
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:04:57 AM »
Hello,

We have a 3300 Mitel system and a number of sites on the company VPN. We have deployed a Mitel 5312 phone to one of these sites and it works well. This remote site also has there own stand alone phone system. We would like it if anyone calls the main number from the Mitel system it is automatically routed to the Mitel extension, thus facilitating a free call. So. for example, we would like all calls to 01234 567899 routed internally to extension 123.

I think this could be possible with ARS, but can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:09:45 AM by ralph »

Offline bobcheese

• View Profile
Re: ASR
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:47:05 AM »
are you talking about a ddi that comes into your mitel and you would like it to ring one of your ext's based on the vpn? If so this can be done in the same way as assigning ddi's to ext's connected directly to your 3300.

There is a couple of ways this can be done depending on how your system is set up at the moment. The easiest way to identify it is if there is a pattern in how your ddi's are assigned. Do the last 3 or 4 digits of your ddi's match your internal numbers? eg 01234 567200 rings internal 200?

gdf1903

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:57:39 AM »
No, sorry, I must not have explained that correctly. The stuff about VPN's is irrelevant and just confuses the matter.

I want to do this:

If someone dials an external number I want it to ring on one of the extensions. So if someone dials 01223 666666 I want it to be caught before it leaves the Mitel system and ring at extension 123 for example. Is this posible?

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:55:15 AM »
I think I get it.
You have a remote office and you don't want people to dial the long way - just dial the 4 digit extension - so you avoid paying the toll cost.
This is common and no so hard to do.

You need to set up a unique route and digit mod table.    When the user dials the long way, the new route points to the IP trunks between sites.   The digit mod table deletes all digits that aren't the extension number.    You could also set this up in a route list so if the VPN is down it routes the long way.   (Any you could reverse it so so if the user dials 4 digits and the vpn is down, the system still routes the call over the PSTN.)

This is something I wouldn't expect a non-Mitel tech to do because it can be a bit complex to set up but it's doable.

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:34:19 PM by ralph »

gdf1903

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:19:27 AM »
Almost I think! Thanks for the help so far.

The thing is that the external number rings at a completely different phone system, not related to the Mitel in any way. We just have one Mitel phone at this remote office, no Mitel system, just one phone that connects across the VPN. So the long full external number does not relate in any way to the extension number. The reason for putting the Mitel phone at this small office was for free calls. We could just call the extension, but some people may forget to do that. So, I thought the Mitel system could be programmed in a way to stop calls going to this one external number, and route them to the extension. In the way you describe below this would only change some of the number, is it possible to substitue an entire external number for an extension?

Thanks again.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »
Ah!
Ok, the phone is registered to your local PBX but exist in another office so technically it really is a local extension off of your PBX but it just plugged in at another building.

Only two ways to intercept this:   
1- create a Loop back IP trunk back to its own 3300, do all the ARS mod stuff I talked about in my last post and route that number through that loop back trunk.   -  My recommendation: don't do that.

2.  Create a new route to that number.  Give it a Class of Restriction that blocks everyone from calling it.  Then when someone dials that number, they system tells them the call is either "barred" or "not allowed".    This forces them to dial the extension number.
This is the simpliest thing to do.

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:34:36 PM by ralph »

gdf1903

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
Thanks a lot. I'll try the 2nd option. Out of interest, why do you not recommend option 1?

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »
Thanks a lot. I'll try the 2nd option. Out of interest, why do you not recommend option 1?
Only because it's a pain in the rear to do.

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:50:20 PM by ralph »

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »
  Couldn't you do a system speed dial?

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
Too many digits for system speed dial.

Ralph

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
But you could create a digit mod that absorbs all of the digits and inserts a speedcall number that is routed to the ext. That would be easier for the end user than getting a toll denial or barred call and then dialing the extension manually.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »
But you'd have to set up a route to use the digit mod.  This would requre a IP loop back trunk.
 :-X
Remember, this phone is actually registered on the local 3300, so you'd have to create a loop back trunk to bring the call back into the pbx.
I'd prefer to block the call as a "reminder" to call the 4 digit extn.
Ralph

Offline MitelMania

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 02:41:02 PM »
wouldnt the wonders of Nortel's CDP be a godsend here!...

other option requires a lot of programming but you could take "9" out of your ARS leading digits.. and then route 9+ whatever illegal number you want in system speedcall back to the extension..  if someone dials a "legal" number or prefix ytou send it our ARS via say access code "88"..  and then ARS handles it from there to the PSTN....
-Christopher

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10