Author Topic: Laptops... yes, again...  (Read 2844 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Laptops... yes, again...
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
Got to replace a couple tech's laptops in the next few weeks... Looks like I am looking for a couple 17" with Win 7 Pro, pretty easy until you try to find one with a physical serial port, having a real problem. We had been using the HP Elitebook series (8560/70p and 8760/70p) until now, but they seem to be discontinued and the new 8770w's and other 17" commercial grade HP's don't have serial ports. Any suggestions?

I have been looking at the 8770w's with Digi Edgeport/1 adapters, since they seem the most reliable and configurable ones available (http://www.digi.com/products/usb/edgeport#overview), anybody using this configuration successfully>
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:47:11 AM by acejavelin »

Offline v2win

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops... yes, again...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
If you are not opposed to a dell this is what I use on my laptop

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=430-3115

Gives me a real serial port, parallel port, ps2 and a couple of extra USB ports
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:15:31 PM by v2win »

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »
Our company is also looking into getting new laptops for the voice and data technicians to replace the old D630 laptops they have now.

I am very interested in what others are using, especially those that are upgradable for future requirements.

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
If you are not opposed to a dell this is what I use on my laptop

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=430-3115

Gives me a real serial port, parallel port, ps2 and a couple of extra USB ports
I am not opposed to Dells, per se, they just don't stand up... the problem is we want something more durable...

Elitebooks are metal, water "resistant" (we have spilled coffee, soda, etc. and had other mild wet conditions with no issues). Technicians are tough on laptops, Elitebooks stand up well and we have easily destroyed Latitudes in just a year or so.

Actually looks like we are going with the Elitebook 850 G1's, Discrete Graphics, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD drives, docking stations, and the Edgeport/1 adapters. IT department is trying to think more for the future I guess, just got the email that they ordered 3 to start with and if all goes well, it will become the standard.

Offline jrg0852

• Look out for the next tech. because it may be you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:51:01 AM »
My son absolutely ran a couple of Lenovos into the ground before they went. Good enough to handle the abuse my son gave them, good enough for what you are doing. Thanks.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10