Author Topic: 6.0 PR5 Strange audio  (Read 3542 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
6.0 PR5 Strange audio
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
Had a customer call me thinking they had a bad phone... Saying the dial tone sounded "muffled and choppy" and pressing numbers on the keypad sounded distorted/cutting out. Went onsite to take a look and indeed the internal dial tones sounds, I don't know, weird slightly distorted and a come and go muffled like, and pressing the number buttons sounded kind of choppy/broken but the phone seems to function fine otherwise, audio quality in call is excellent. Seemed to start right after upgrading from 5.1 to 6.0 PR5 last week.

Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline marcolive

• View Profile
Re: 6.0 PR5 Strange audio
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
On a IP or digital phone?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
The site as all 5340 IP phones, about 13 of them, and two analog extensions, that's it.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »
Acejavelin,

My guess is that the two analog ports do not exhibit this behavior; if they do then that would be an odd problem. As for the IP phones did you try adjusting the echo cancellation on the phones? Also have you tried rebooting the system with no phones attached and then boot only one up to see if the problem occurs or try a different model like a 5330 or 5320?

Marcolive,

Most of these types of problems normally occur on IP phones and not digital phones when it comes to the 5000; depending on the style phones used of course. The thing is that most of the newer digital phones have their own built in DTMF chip to reduce the overhead on the phone system unlike some of the older Axxess models where only the later Executive phones did.

As for my understanding of the IP phones the tones you hear are generated at the IP set, but they are just for user comfort or what some call Quality of Experience (QoE) since they are used to that sort of thing. So that would mean all the tones are just packets sent and in this case commands to the controller saying which button was pressed not actual tones, which is why the sets work properly. You could test this by making a call to an analog port and press a number to see if the tones you hear at one are different then the other. You probably really notice this phenomenon when using a SIP gateway since it will provide you Service Order Tone (fake dial tone, similar to what the IP phones do), even when a CO Trunk hooked up; they do this to reduce overhead in data traffic.

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
The two analog extensions go into a fax server, and that has been working fine so I never bothered to investigate that any farther.

I tried a couple other extensions, and none of them seemed to exhibit the same behavior, just this one set, but it only seemed to occur during internal dial tone or when pressing DTMF keys, audio in call was completely normal.

I am pretty sure Tech Electronics is correct and these specific sounds are just comfort tones generated by the phone itself to the user, so it could be a oddity from the recent upgrade, or an indication a set is starting to fail perhaps.

For now I just factory defaulted the phone, and offered to replace it with a refurbished unit, but the customer is going to try it for a while and see if it gets worse (affects calls) or not.

I will update this thread if something changes. I was mostly just curious if someone else upgraded and had these kind of odd, non-service effective issues at all or it was just me... this is only the second site I had upgraded to 6.0PR5 and I have 4 more scheduled over the next week or two on our maintenance customers.

Offline markdevoll

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
there is a patch for 6.0 systems with loop start trunks and ip sets. you will want to apply that to your system.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »
there is a patch for 6.0 systems with loop start trunks and ip sets. you will want to apply that to your system.
Since 6.0 PR5?!?! PR5 was supposed to be the fix for 5330/40 sets and analog LS trunks, and I heard nothing bad about it, that is why we are deploying it.

Again, this is  NOT service effecting, just an annoying "difference" from before.

Offline mem5449

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »
I had to run the Hybrid Balance thingy again on our LS trunks [after 6.0 upgrade] to fix it. Now we're on SIP and that issue is history.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10