Author Topic: call forwarding and voicemail  (Read 4249 times)

Offline evan631

• View Profile
call forwarding and voicemail
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:58:06 AM »
Here is a weird one....

I have a bunch of users that forward their 5330's to their personal cell phones.  They are not using any profiles...just the standard call forwarding (enter number and activate).  When you dial their 5330 (as internal or external call), the cell would ring, but if they don't answer the Nu Point Voice mail answers, not the voice mail on the cell phone.

All the call routing options look accurate. 1st alts etc.

Just a little background, i was told this used to work correctly where the cell VM would pickup, but as of last week it stopped working after the ICP3300's software levels were upgraded by Mitel

Curious...How does the call even get back into the system once it rings the cell?

Any thoughts?

thanks as always!

-Evan

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: call forwarding and voicemail
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 01:04:09 PM »
Not so weird.  That's the way it works.

You're using supervised trunks.   The PBX knows if the call is answered or not.
When the call comes into your system, all timers remain in effect until the system looses supervison or is answered.

In your case, there are one of two timers involved:
(1) call forward no anwer timer in the COS.
(2) if you are using the 2nd reroute, the call rerouting timer in the system options form.

When a call is sent out, the system will maintain the timers.   The first VM to answer wins.

Lenghten these timers and your problem goes away.

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:48:11 PM by ralph »

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »
You may want to build a new COS for those users to extend their timers, if not may will complain.

At least thats my experience, if a call takes longer than normal to go to VM people think that the world is coming to an end. Strange how one ring can cause a panic.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »
Strange how one ring can cause a panic.]Strange how one ring can cause a panic.

Oh man is that ever true!
My boss and I were talking just yesterday how it seems recently that people are freaking out over the smallest things.
Someone gets cut off and I need to spend the next 30 minutes trying to explain that cut offs can also be caused by something other than the PBX.

In the old days a PBX could be down for a day and they'd bake you a cake just for fixing it.   

I think what happened is that in the bad 'ol days of Ma Bell, people were used to really bad service.   Now we've gotten everyone used to really great service so that even the smallest issues can be treated as disasters.

But ask this:   If your computer breaks, how long before you can expect to have it fixed.     
                    Now, if your phone breaks, how long before you can expect to have that fixed.
I'll bet you get your phone fixed before your computer will be.

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:48:45 PM by ralph »

Offline evan631

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »
Ralph...thanks for the reply!

You were spot on...extended the timer on COS and for the IP trunk COS.  Problem fixed.

Regarding your statement below..i take offense.  As a systems engineer i guarantee your computer will be fixed within the hour, and you will be back to work without a thought.  hahaha.  Now...if i have to call Mitel as i did with this issue, it could take about a week for resolution. 

I wish I saw your reply earlier in the week, but i was having problems with this site.

Thanks again...you always come through.

-Evan

Strange how one ring can cause a panic.

But ask this:   If your computer breaks, how long before you can expect to have it fixed.     
                    Now, if your phone breaks, how long before you can expect to have that fixed.
I'll bet you get your phone fixed before your computer will be.

Ralph

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:49:43 PM by ralph »

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:50:06 AM »
Sorry you took offense.   ;D
Actually your post gave me a chance to vent.   I really does seem that expectations are higher for phones than desktop computers.   I really don't know why but I suspect that it has more to do with the end user having the power to reboot.    Resetting a phone just doesn't have the same ZEN for some reason.

Glad the fix worked for you.
Oh and by the way, as a phone engineer, we guarante you phone will never have a problem.   ::)

Actually, I've heard a couple of times that it can take a while for resolution with Mitel Direct.   Not sure why.   And I'm not sure why people are so patient with that.

Through our remote center, which I manage, issues are usually address within hours, minutes if it's urgent.   Expectations have been set so high that some people freak if we slip a couple of hours.   Go figure.

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:50:00 PM by ralph »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10