Author Topic: Mitel Licensing for Phones - Question  (Read 12033 times)

dogoferis

Mitel Licensing for Phones - Question
« on: July 02, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »
Guys and/or gals,

We are getting the third degree from our CFO with all the licensing we have to do these days (especially after we have just put in two new controllers).  I was hoping someone could offer up an explanation as to the difference between User and Device licenses as well as the functional reason for that distinction?  If at all possible something digestible by folks who have more experience with finance than communications engineering.  Appreciate any help; thanks folks!

Offline ctmedina

• View Profile
    • Just me, and my ramblings
Re: Mitel Licensing for Phones - Question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »
Wow, there was no responses to this topic? I want to ask the same question. Maybe it was answered somewhere else in the forum.

Dogoferis, Did you find an answer to this question. I am not really getting hounded by our CFO, but maybe my boss is. He shields me from that stuff. Although I would like to know the answer as well. I am going to dig thru the forum some more before I do another post.

Carlos Medina

Offline v2win

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
Right now for a phone to work you must have one device and one user license.

For a resilient phone you must have on the primary controller one user and one device and on the secondary controller you must have one device license.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:08:47 AM »
Mitel is in the process of simplifying their licensing.   
Not sure how this will all pan out yet but I think the device/user will be combined and a SIP device will be the same licenese as any other phone device.

Ralph
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:29:13 PM by ralph »

Offline ctmedina

• View Profile
    • Just me, and my ramblings
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:27:16 AM »
I think the bottom line and what I get fro m my rep is that Mitel is following microsoft and others lead and trying to make money from nothing. You know isnt that how we make money in America? We sell you a piece of paper that just says that you have something or that you can use something instead of makeing great things that people actually want to buy and pay for. Oh well I guess the recording inductry and the movie industry have survived so I guess it pays off. Sorry just my little rant about licensing costs. Maybe give the hardware away for free then I would gladly pay all the licensing you want, not really, but I am trying to make a point.

And that is all I have to say about that...Now back to work!

Carlos Medina

txfisher

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 05:56:25 PM »
The way I understand it best is to think of a 24-hour call center where more than one person sits at a desk over the course of the day.  You need one device license for the phone and one user license for each user, so three 8-hour shifts would require 3 user licenses and the one device license.

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
  txfisher,  I think that would only be true if you use hotdesking.  If they just use the phone then just one user and device license are required...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10